The Highland Lakes of Texas

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Dining & Shopping

Old 06-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
JakRussll
Seasoned Member

Eateries in the Highland Lakes area

It has been a while since we have had any restaurant reviews in the forum. Just curious if there are any new favorites out there. We went to the Doublehorn Brewery today (and yesterday) but it was closed. Is it closed for good or just some vacation time?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
Caretaker

The double Horn is still open. I believe there is going to be an anniversary day for them real soon.
I have,nt eaten at any new places but may try the new one on main.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:43 AM   #3
swpilot

We ate at "On The Rocks" in Cottonwood last week and it was great. It is mainly an Italian food place, but I had the cheeseburger, which was great, and my wife had the beef tenderloin which was cooked to perfection. Service was great and overlooking Wirtz Dam, the view was stunning. I highly recommend this place!!!
swpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
hillcountrywoman

Thumbs up

The food at On the Rocks is great but in
addition you can sit outside and watch the sunset and listen to the live music they have on weekends.

Of course Julie's Cocina is always good and they also have live music sometimes.
hillcountrywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
liquid_eyes

Double Horn is excellent! The new El Tapatio in Granite Shoals also has some very good food and very reasonable prices.
liquid_eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
JakRussll
Seasoned Member

We tried "On the Rocks" a couple of weeks ago and it was a nice evening outside. Food was fine for all it seemed. They have obviously improved quite a few things since they opened. I'm glad we tried them again.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
NascarMimi

I have been to Rbar and Grill and have enjoyed several items off their new menu.
NascarMimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:21 AM   #8
tarheel
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretaker View Post
The double Horn is still open. I believe there is going to be an anniversary day for them real soon.
I have,nt eaten at any new places but may try the new one on main.
If you mean Coco's at Old Oak Square, I have been hearing nice things about it. I plan to go check it out.
tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
NascarMimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel View Post
If you mean Coco's at Old Oak Square, I have been hearing nice things about it. I plan to go check it out.
Double Horn is basically on 281 right across the street from Blue Bonnet. Coco's just opened up just a few weeks ago. Haven't tried them yet either, but Double Horn's is pretty good.
NascarMimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #10
JWebb
Seasoned Member

Heard that a Mediterranean restaurant will be filling Patton's building. Can anyone confirm?

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion but no one is entitled to his own facts.
Daniel Moynihan
JWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
ohcuriousone
Seasoned Member

Version I heard was an "authentic interior Mexican food", but then a bystander said the "deal had been in the works for nearly a year and was moving very slowly".

Guess we will see..............
ohcuriousone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
countryboy
Seasoned Member

Has anyone tried Cocos?. Also is it located where Cecils used to be?
countryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #13
Caretaker

Has anyone tried that place on Main just north of Broadway?. its the one with the volleyball court and outside deck. Its some type of bar and grill.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #14
JWebb
Seasoned Member

Husband and I visited Coco Bay a couple of days after they opened. After 20 minutes of being ignored we approached the owner and told him we would be back when they had the kinks worked out. He said his wait staff hadn't shown up and apologized. We went back with our kids this past weekend just for appetizers. We tried 4 and they were all good with the exception of the crab rangoon. The pastry was tough and the filling had a very "fishy" taste.They seem like very nice people and I hope they are successful.

Have heard that the folks who took over the Smith's BBQ location are the same ones that had The Treehouse in Old Oak Square and that it is an evening venue. We have not been by there when they appeared to be open. We loved The Treehouse. Can anyone confirm that these are the same people?

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion but no one is entitled to his own facts.
Daniel Moynihan
Old 06-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
ohcuriousone
Seasoned Member

Mary had the former Treehouse Grill and now has the business in the former Smith's BBQ spot. Don't know if the menus are similiar or not. Hope so.
ohcuriousone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:33 AM   #16
Primadonna
Seasoned Member

Haven't tried the Treehouse Bar & Grill but I tried out Coco Bay this week. The prices are very reasonable at lunch. I wasn't impressed with the fish and chips but I should have ordered another item. I thought the service was good. They have a California Club sandwich which my husband said was very good. I definitely will go back. I think they also had a beans and cornbread dish that looked interesting; some of their items are very unique.
Primadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #17
Primadonna
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the reviews for "On the Rocks." I have never tried it as it looked and sounded like a bar. We will definitely try it.

I finally tried Julie's Cocina Mexican food and have declared their cheese enchiladas (The Maxican is another good one) the best in the area. So happy I finally tried Julie's as I was tired of going out to Tamale King. Although in my humble opinion Tamale King has the best salsa in Burnet County. I am a very picky Mexican Food connoisseur - Texans love their mexican food.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #18
Primadonna
Seasoned Member

Speaking of The Treehouse at the old Smith BBQ, I stopped by for a "to go" menu but they informed me they wouldn't have food for another couple months. I should have asked them if they had opened because when I got there the place was locked and it looked like they were having a meeting. Looks like they are having a really slow time getting it going.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #19
JakRussll
Seasoned Member

I think my two favorite lunch spots are:
1) Ginger and Spice
2) Darci's Deli.

In and out in 35-40 mins for around $8.00. Never been disappointed with either.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #20
mrdonkhan

Ate at Bella Sera tonight with some friends. The service was good. I do have to point out that I grew up in New York and have a very good understanding of Italian cooking so my opinion might be a bit biased. They did not have any espresso. The coffee that they did serve was bitter. I had to put cream in it and I NEVER put cream in my coffee. Their desserts were frozen, store bought. They were not fresh. They did taste ok but not authentic enough for me. Food was ok but as before not authentic. I would recommend Bella Sera as a place to eat but the New York in me wants it to be a bit more "Italian".
mrdonkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #21
JWebb
Seasoned Member

JakRussll, I agree that your favorite lunch spots are excellent but I would add The Noon Spoon :-) love that place.

Daniel Moynihan
Old 07-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #22
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna View Post
Speaking of The Treehouse at the old Smith BBQ, I stopped by for a "to go" menu but they informed me they wouldn't have food for another couple months. I should have asked them if they had opened because when I got there the place was locked and it looked like they were having a meeting. Looks like they are having a really slow time getting it going.
I,m not exactly sure what is going with on the place either. But I happened to pass by a week or so ago and that place was packed with people. I figured it was either a grand opening or happy hour. It was good to see that something was happening what ever it was.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #23
JakRussll
Seasoned Member

Any reviews on Doc's Fish Camp? I hear folks say go for the prime rib night. The few times I have eaten there they have a simple uncomplicated menu. It seems to work because the place fills up for lunch.

Last edited by JakRussll; 08-04-2012 at 08:58 PM.
JakRussll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:50 AM   #24
Hills4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakRussll View Post
Any reviews on Doc's Fish Camp? I hear folks say go for the prime rib night. The few times I have eaten there they have a simple uncomplicated menu. It seems to work because the place fills up for lunch.
We have never like Doc's. The fish was poor quality and greasy and the rest of the food was not much better. Tried it twice and have never been back. Additionally, one time the server was way over taxed and they seemed generally understaffed.
Hills4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #25
Doublehorn
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hills4me View Post
We have never like Doc's. The fish was poor quality and greasy and the rest of the food was not much better. Tried it twice and have never been back. Additionally, one time the server was way over taxed and they seemed generally understaffed.

Same here. I took my wife there for some steak & seafood and it was a disaster. Both the food & service were terrible. It was only one time - last year - but we wont go back.
Doublehorn is offline   Reply With Quote