The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > The Lounge > Official Polls

View Poll Results: Should the U.S. increase the number of troops in Afghanistan?
Yes 13 72.22%
No 4 22.22%
Undecided 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
Webmaster
Benevolent Admin

Send a message via AIM to Webmaster
Should the US Increase the Number of Troops in Afghanistan?

Should the US increase the number of troops in Afghanistan?
Old 11-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
JSKR
Seasoned Member

No. Pull them out. Enough is enough already.
Frankly, how about we use our troops in our country. There are gang ridden neighborhoods where people (even innocent ones) get killed every day. We will go to other countries and kill the "bad guys", but we can't control our own bad guys right here. Something wrong with that.

There is so much crime in our own country that needs to be addressed, yet we keep running around the world acting like we have the right to invade every other country as we wish.
JSKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
I think that if the obamas man thinks we need more for his plan, then we should send them. If he isn't going to do as his chosen commander suggests, then get them all out. This indecision with our troops in trouble while he runs around the world politicing ain't getting it done.

Janet, I'm pretty sure that the Constitution specifically addresses that American troops can't come in and clean up the problems. Not that I don't agree with you wholeheartedly with you. Of course, I think that LEO's could handle it if the judicial would put them away and leave them there.

Now if you want "blue hats" (NATO), I'll bet the teleprompter in chief would gladly invite them in.
KINGCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
Webmaster
Benevolent Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSKR View Post
No. Pull them out. Enough is enough already.
Frankly, how about we use our troops in our country. There are gang ridden neighborhoods where people (even innocent ones) get killed every day. We will go to other countries and kill the "bad guys", but we can't control our own bad guys right here. Something wrong with that.
Actually, the federal government is specifically forbidden by law from using federal troops for domestic law enforcement activities. And believe me, we really really want it that way. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act
Old 11-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
Caretaker

I say get our troops back home. They aint gonna beat them camel jockeys.

Better check on that about not using them here in the states. Federal law may not allow it but it is being done.There have been troops patroling the streets right here in the good ole US of A.They claim it is for LEO support. Its actually in preperation for martial law.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretaker View Post

Better check on that about not using them here in the states. Federal law may not allow it but it is being done.There have been troops patroling the streets right here in the good ole US of A.They claim it is for LEO support. Its actually in preperation for martial law.

Any LEO's on now? I need to report the loss of all my firearms in a horrible boating accident over the weekend. You can pick the body of water.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Webmaster
Benevolent Admin

Quote:

OK I'm gonna have to call you on that one. Cite a source where this is happening in preparation for martial law.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #8
Caretaker

They did check points in Ca. They did patrolling in a small town Iowa.I believe in NJ as well. Whats happening is this. They will start doing this a little here a little there and and over time will increase it. Get the general pop to become accustomed to it and no one will ever notice or think twice. Then when the unowhat hits the fan they will be ready and no one will question it. You can find Vids on Ytube.There are plenty to learn from.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #9
Webmaster
Benevolent Admin

Quote:
They did check points in Ca. They did patrolling in a small town Iowa.I believe in NJ as well. Whats happening is this. They will start doing this a little here a little there and and over time will increase it. Get the general pop to become accustomed to it and no one will ever notice or think twice. Then when the unowhat hits the fan they will be ready and no one will question it. You can find Vids on Ytube.There are plenty to learn from.
There is a difference between federal troops doing this type of thing and National Guard units doing it under the command of a state's governor. Using National Guard to assist domestic law enforcement is perfectly legal if the units are not "federalized" and are still under the command of the governor.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #10
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

I have been buzzed at extremely low altitude by blacked out Blackhawks at the ranch. It's unnerving.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #11
Peaches
Seasoned Member

If we're going to engage in war, we have to be prepared to fully staff the effort in order to achieve our objective. Apparently the commanding general feels we need 40,000 more troops to do that.

If the President will not back his own military leaders, then he is not backing our military or their efforts.

I don't know that we need to pull our troops out of Afghanistan, but I'm all for pulling the Commander-In-Chief out of the White House at this point.
Peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:25 AM   #12
Caretaker

We need to pull our troops out.An additional 40k troops wont do squat.All that will happen is more of our guys being killed and a long term occupation in a land where we are not wanted.Its no different then Iraq.
Leave them afghanys alone to fight amongst themselves.All those countrys we are trying to turn into democracys are tribal and will kill each other for clondike bar.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #13
carvet44
Seasoned Member

We need to bring our troops and money home NOW. This country is suffering because we've tried to impose our way of life on other people who have their own cultures. Bring them home and take care of business here. We can't stop them or change them.
carvet44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #14
Peaches
Seasoned Member

Are you kidding Caretaker? They'd kill themselves for a Klondike Bar.

I gave this question more thought and decided to consider what exactly Afghanistan has to offer the rest of the world in terms of trade goods. (At least the Middle East offers oil exports.) Here's a quote from Q & A:

"Opium, fruits and nuts, handwoven carpets, wool, cotton, lambskins (Karakul), and gemstones are the main exports; capital goods, foodstuffs, textiles and other manufactured goods, and petroleum products are the main imports. As a result of civil war, exports have dwindled to a minimum, except for the illegal trade in opium and hashish. The country has also become an important producer of heroin, which is derived from opium."

We can't fix their problems and I can live without hand-woven carpets. Let's bring our men ane women home.
Peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #15
JakRussll
Seasoned Member

Agreed. No one wants us there. Most of all.......the Afghan people. If we leave and lend a helping hand as far as restablishing trade, the free market will take care of itself. It won't be easy, but it's not easy now either.

We no longer accomplish anything with our presence in Afghanistan. There will never be "normalcy" as long as a foreign country is occupying your city.
JakRussll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #16
mdarling
Seasoned Member

Webmaster, I know for a fact that the US Army was called into Washington, DC, during the rioting after Martin Luther King was murdered. These were not National Guard troops. They had paratroopers from either the 82nd or 101st Airborne. Granted, that was in 1968, and it was Washington, so maybe that was the difference.

And what happened to Obama's campaign promise to pull the troops out of Iraq and send them to Afghanistan? Just another example of not living up to campaign promises. However, he's not the only one who plays this game. His dithering right now is dangerous. I say get the troops out of Afghanistan if we are not going to provide the support they need. That is a very treacherous war, and one (I fear) we are not going to win.
mdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #17
tarheel
Seasoned Member

mdarling, you are correct. The 3rd Infantry guarded the White House. There were machine guns on the steps of the Capitol.

However, my (limited) understanding of the justification is that one of the exceptions to the Posse Comitatus Act is that the President can use troops as authorized under the Insurrection Act. That was probably the justification.
tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #18
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Now how does the Kent State incident fit in here? Are Ohio National Guard the same as other branches of our military?
Old 11-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #19
butchkemper
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
Now how does the Kent State incident fit in here? Are Ohio National Guard the same as other branches of our military?
The Ohio National Guard was functioning under the control of the Governor of Ohio. They were not Federal Troops.

See the previous comments by Webmaster.

Butch
butchkemper is offline   Reply With Quote