The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Dining & Shopping

Old 11-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
Wezel

Buying a live Christmas Tree? Lowe's!

For the last several years we've bought our Christmas tree at Wal-Mart. Until our experience today the people there have always been very helpful. Today, a tall, sorta thin older guy out there was a real jerk. At first he didn't even want to help us and then he told me he would only open one tree for my wife to look at; and that he wasn't supposed to open any. (This was BS according to the Customer Service manager). We left.

So, we went to Lowe's. All the trees were already open. The ladies there couldn't have been more cheerful and helpful, even cutting off the trunk square for me. What a night and day difference between Lowe's and Wal-Mart.
Wezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
Shire_Driver

Wal-Mart has already irritated me with the store getting completely changed around. I don't like going into a store to pick up a couple of things but have to walk what seems like miles before I can locate what I came in for. The few employees I have dealt with have been nice but only one seemed to be helpful (knowledgable) -- that was when I asked where the magazines had been relocated to. You know, it makes a lot of sense to have it in the very BACK of the store!!
Everyone else just looks around and goes "uh....I don't know where they moved that to...."
Wal-Mart might want to pay attention and remind their employees how important it is to be as helpful as possible. There are other places for us to shop!!!
I have also had good experiences at Lowes. Someone always asks if we need any help, etc. That is always nice.
Shire_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:20 AM   #3
discountshirtco

Big box stores, like Walmart and Lowe's, are the cause for the downfall of many, many local small businesses in the Highland Lakes. I encourage you to find a local dealer and leave the big chain stores off your holiday shopping list. I know it is easier, but it is not better. Shop locally at one of the hometown stores that care about the Highland Lakes and keep your money in the Highland Lakes.
discountshirtco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:06 AM   #4
Wezel

Quote:
Originally Posted by discountshirtco View Post
Big box stores, like Walmart and Lowe's, are the cause for the downfall of many, many local small businesses in the Highland Lakes. I encourage you to find a local dealer and leave the big chain stores off your holiday shopping list. I know it is easier, but it is not better. Shop locally at one of the hometown stores that care about the Highland Lakes and keep your money in the Highland Lakes.
We agree. If a local retailer was selling real Christmas trees we'd have certainly bought from them. We've not discovered any.
Wezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:13 AM   #5
JWebb
Seasoned Member

We bought ours yesterday at Home Depot - they were $5 cheaper than at Lowe's. The "new" Wal-mart seems to have wider aisles and once we (and the employees) learn the new layout it will be much easier. I obtained a map and a list of what is on which aisles from one of the check out ladies.
JWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
Shire_Driver

Oh I agree about shopping local, no doubt about that!
I'm not very thrilled about how much this town has changed.
Truth be told, I honestly liked the old Wal-Mart, which is where Sutherlands is now. The "new" Wal-Mart needing refreshing, it was looking pretty ugly, but there was absolutely no reason to completely relocate EVERYTHING. I could care less if they wanted it to look like every other Wal-Mart or not. All they succeeded in doing was making everyone lost which in turn is frustrating.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
Reapp
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shire_Driver View Post
Oh I agree about shopping local, no doubt about that!
I'm not very thrilled about how much this town has changed.
Truth be told, I honestly liked the old Wal-Mart, which is where Sutherlands is now. The "new" Wal-Mart needing refreshing, it was looking pretty ugly, but there was absolutely no reason to completely relocate EVERYTHING. I could care less if they wanted it to look like every other Wal-Mart or not. All they succeeded in doing was making everyone lost which in turn is frustrating.
...and everyone will be ok after just a few visits
Reapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
lmam88
Seasoned Member

We use to have a couple of Christmas Tree lots open up every year. Not anymore though...guess the big businesses scared them off. Sad!
lmam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:59 AM   #9
tarheel
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reapp View Post
Absolutely. I've been in several times now and I've almost got it all worked out. No big deal and the whole store is much nicer now.

Also, for those who don't like the big box stores, consider this. All those people working in there are your neighbors. The owners of the store are your and my pension funds.
tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:08 AM   #10
Shire_Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reapp View Post
Oh, I don't know....I just don't like change
Old 12-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #11
Shire_Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel View Post
Absolutely. I've been in several times now and I've almost got it all worked out. No big deal and the whole store is much nicer now.

Also, for those who don't like the big box stores, consider this. All those people working in there are your neighbors. The owners of the store are your and my pension funds.
You're right...it's great that it provides jobs for people...however, it doesn't sway me to like big box stores in our small town (unfortunately not so small anymore) I realize Wal-Mart has been in this town for a long time, but as I said before, I preferred it when it was the small Wal-Mart.

Tags
christmas , christmas tree , lowe's , wal-mart