The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Miscellaneous

Old 09-29-2016, 09:04 AM   #1
JudgeGil

Red Cross / Ham Radio public meeting

For full info, see Daily Trib article referenced below.

Short version:
“Statistically, the Red Cross responds to a house fire in the United States about every eight minutes,” Chapman said. “When you think about that, it’s pretty local.”
In fact, the Red Cross has responded to several house fires in Burnet County over the past year. The volunteers arrive to offer blankets and help with prescriptions and other immediate needs.

“It’s really about helping your neighbors,” Chapman said.
The problem is the Burnet County area only has two Red Cross volunteers — Chapman is one of them — who quickly respond to local emergencies. Chapman said more volunteers would be a great help.

The Highland Lakes Amateur Radio Club is hosting a meeting with the American Red Cross on at 6:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 30, at the Westside Park Community Center, 1704 Second St. in Marble Falls. The event is open to anyone interested in learning about the American Red Cross and emergency preparedness.

Ham radio opportunities will also be discussed.

Read more: http://www.dailytrib.com/2016/09/27/...#ixzz4LepCsuRz
Old 08-30-2017, 08:52 AM   #2
ventura hay n pecans

I am a Red Cross Volunteer. I am trained in DAT, Restoring Family Links, and Sheltering.
I am only in Marble Falls area occasionally, working at our ranch. if there is a Red Cross team in the area, I am happy to take call, and work a bit when in town.
I can not make the September 30th meeting, I have a commitment at that time. Please keep me informed is you establish a local DAT group. Joanie.Abousamra@RecCross.com
ventura hay n pecans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:24 PM   #3
Nomos
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventura hay n pecans View Post
I am a Red Cross Volunteer. I am trained in DAT, Restoring Family Links, and Sheltering.
I am only in Marble Falls area occasionally, working at our ranch. if there is a Red Cross team in the area, I am happy to take call, and work a bit when in town.
I can not make the September 30th meeting, I have a commitment at that time. Please keep me informed is you establish a local DAT group. Joanie.Abousamra@RecCross.com
That meeting was last year. Suggest contact Red Cross HQ in Austin and they can probably hook you up. They have been short for a DAT team here for a long time.
Nomos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amateur radio , ham radio , red cross , volunteering