The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > The Lounge > Official Polls


View Poll Results: Should Marble Falls bars have extended hours on the weekend?
Yes 19 55.88%
No 11 32.35%
I don't care 4 11.76%
There's bars in Marble Falls? 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Caretaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,059
Extended hours for Bars on main street

Ok folks.Heres the question or topic. Who wants or does not want the Local bars to be allowed to extend their hours to 2am..Also should the bars be limited to just Main. Big topic so all are welcome to voice their opinions.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
nosefornews
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Deep in the Heart Of Texas
Posts: 970
Not sure exactly why this needs to be done. I read the article where the owner of Lorraines (?) was saying how he was losing lots of business because people were driving to Austin to party until 2 am because it just isn't enough for them to be able to only party until midnight if they stayed in Marble.

Seems to me, that if you offer the right kind of entertainment they'll come anyway, why can't they play from 9-11? The MF market isn't that big or wealthy enough to support a live music venue that's open 5-7 days a week.

Now if you're trying to attract folks from Austin to come drink in MF and they'll only come if they can drink until 1 or 2 in the morning, then I hope MF PD plants a car or two or three real close to test all those drivers when they leave the bars because you can bet, there's not going to be more than one or two designated drivers among them......I also hope the Sheriff, DPS all increase their patrols, these are dark roads at night and people right now are getting killed in accidents where people cross the traffic lanes, it'll only get worse if we import drunks from other cities.

Quit trying to turn MF into something it's not, this isn't Houston, Austin, Dallas, New Orleans and it doesn't need the reputation as a town where it's easy to get drink until 2 am. I'm sorry, but traditionally more bars open later doesn't help the quality of life in a town. It just turns out more pathetic drunks.

Just my opinion.....
nosefornews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
Karenw66
DaYdReAm BeLiEvEr
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: BTX
Posts: 106
Thumbs up FOR Extended Hours

@Caretaker: Thanks for starting this thread. I'm curious to know more about this debate. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that there's much of a debate yet. "Beware the one-handed clap." It seems that this ordinance was drafted and proposed to the City Council before much community discussion ... is this accurate? I missed the genesis of this.

I read the story about Lorraine's closing because of this -- and was disappointed because I've enjoyed having Lorraine's here. There were a couple of comments online and I posted my .02 there already >> Story in the Highlander (see online)

I'd like to understand the OPPONENT-side of not extending the hours.

I see the PROPONENT-side ... For a while, Main Street was really bustling, between Lorraine's, R-Bar, O'Neill's, Patton's, Cecil's, and House of Blue Lights. Now, of course, we know the happenings at HBL, so we'll discount that because issues were more proprietors than patrons. Now we're down to R-Bar, Lorraine's, Chili's, and River City Grille ... all great places for fun and live music. Chili's & RCG close at 11pm and R-Bar & Lorraine's at 12pm.

I am not a "wild party-er" but enjoy going out occasionally and it's great to have nice places locally that provide the same level of entertainment as clubs in Austin. Anyone that enjoys live music knows that the times flies by. When a band starts a little after 10pm and has to close up by 12pm, that doesn't really leave much. In fact, I had a date where we went to dinner at 7, movie around 9ish, then hit Lorraine's just in time to see the band wrapping up (got one dance in ). We were both kind of lost with what to do next. (quiet, peanut gallery, I can hear the comments already )

So, if you couldn't tell -- I'm FOR extending this hours. Totally understand limiting this to the downtown district too. Marble Falls is growing - the nightlife goes along with that.

looking forward to seeing other posts ...
Karenw66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
Caretaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,059
Karenw66. I am not sure how when the proposed ordinance even came about.I read the paper article about it myself and have been mulling it over as to the pros & cons.. This is an issue that should have more citizen imput.

I,m not a party-er myself nowadays but use to love the night life as long as the establishment suited my tastes.Pool tables and dancing were a must and if they had a live band that was even better.

What I think should happen is maybe to allow the extended hours for say Fri&sat until 2am.Wednesday till 1.00 and leave the other days the same as what it is now. The reason I say that is because those 3 days were usually when more people would go out for a night on the town.The other nights would only get real busy if a particular club was having $1.00 beer or call night.. Unfortunately thats when you got the most drunks.Didnt cost alot so thats when theyd be there.

Seeing as theres not to many places left in MFs to actually do anything other than play golf or bingo. Having a compromise on which days to allow extended hours may not be to bad a thing.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Hacksaw
Seasoned Member
 
Hacksaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 122
I'm for extending the hours, or would you rather having all these people racing to Pardners at midnight! Why not keep them in town. Make's good sense to me. Plus I do enjoy the night life every now and then. Heck I'm only 50, I'm not dryed up. Thank you caretaker for staring this.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
Webmaster
Benevolent Admin
 
Webmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: State of Confusion
Posts: 1,150
Send a message via AIM to Webmaster
The folks that visit the downtown bars are going to go elsewhere after midnight. As you said, Hacksaw, they'll head to Pardners or Zeke's in Cottonwood Shores. That's sales tax revenue fleeing the city at midnight. If they're going to allow bars at all, I don't see the harm in letting them stay open until 2 AM.
__________________
GTO forum
Webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:27 PM   #7
nosefornews
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Deep in the Heart Of Texas
Posts: 970
Can anyone actually quantify how much has been lost? Not some kind of wishful thinking (such as, I just know we'd make such and such) but something that can actually be checked?

I'm sorry, but I keep hearing the argument that well they'll just head to Parnder or Zeke's just doesn't make sense unless you're strictly talking about people who want to keep drinking and driving. Because that's what your describing when you talk about people who want to run to either of those places because those two definitely don't have the same demographics..

So let's agree that the real discussion here, is all about selling more alcohol and making more money, nothing more, nothing less. Because I've worked in enough clubs to know that between midnight and 2 the band isn't playing, the bartenders and waitresses are waiting to go home, and people rush to finish as many drinks as they can and still pretend to be sober enough that they can continue to get served.

The reality is these clubs aren't going out of business because they can't stay open until 2 am, they're going to suffer for the same reason that the high end restaurants don't survivie here, the demographics of this community are not the same as Austin. The marketplace isn't big enough to support that many nights of live music and that many venues...

and now I will step off my box......

oh and in case you haven't guessed, I'm opposed to keeping them open longer...I'm often on the road between 2 and 3 and I'd prefer mostly sober drivers on the highway at that time.....
nosefornews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:25 AM   #8
Hacksaw
Seasoned Member
 
Hacksaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 122
Nosefornews you are SOOOOO wrong about some people, Because I was one of them. It's not about the drinking, it's about having a good time with other people. When you are single who likes to sit home and watch TV when you can be out having a good time. Heck alot of the times when I was out UNTIL 2 am my Bar Tab was only $12.00. I'm not a big drinker, see people can go and have fun without getting LABEL as a Drunk like you say we are. I always drove us home at 2 am and 4 am. Yes I have to say there are people that drink way too much sometimes, but don't blame everybody for doing so. By the way why are you out out 2 to 3 am? If your employer is putting you in harms way. You should talk to your BOSS about that, are would like EVERBODY to stay off the roads when your out and about. About the Police, Trust me there out there partrolling doing there job, when I'm in Pardners there's always 4 are 5 officers there watching people.
__________________
If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin'somebody else's dog around
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:11 AM   #9
JWebb
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Marble Falls
Posts: 236
I am in favor of extending the hours for entertainment establishments to two a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights. Midnight is really a curfew time for teenagers - not for responsible adults. Personally, I am rarely out after dark but I think having entertainment in town is part and parcel of keeping the downtown area alive. This being said, noise and other restrictions should be strictly enforced. BTW, someone who should know told me that Lorraine's had only requested the extension for Saturday evenings. Can anyone confirm that?
JWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:17 AM   #10
Nomos
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
The folks that visit the downtown bars are going to go elsewhere after midnight. As you said, Hacksaw, they'll head to Pardners or Zeke's in Cottonwood Shores. That's sales tax revenue fleeing the city at midnight. If they're going to allow bars at all, I don't see the harm in letting them stay open until 2 AM.
Somewhere in this discussion don't we have to consider DWI increasing as a possible side effect? Seems like that is being dodged.
Nomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #11
Caretaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWebb View Post
I am in favor of extending the hours for entertainment establishments to two a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights. Midnight is really a curfew time for teenagers - not for responsible adults. Personally, I am rarely out after dark but I think having entertainment in town is part and parcel of keeping the downtown area alive. This being said, noise and other restrictions should be strictly enforced. BTW, someone who should know told me that Lorraine's had only requested the extension for Saturday evenings. Can anyone confirm that?

Jwebb. My sentiments as well. Fri&sat would OK with me to 2am. I think Weds should be 1am. Any other day should be left the same. I like you am rarely out after dark but on occasion would go to main for entertainment if it was good or something that really interested me.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #12
nosefornews
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Deep in the Heart Of Texas
Posts: 970
Hacksaw, I may be wrong about SOME of the people, but not the majority because if I was then there wouldn't be 4 or 5 officers sitting outside pardners watching people. I think you are definitely in the minority of people who just want to sit around a bar from midnight till 2 and not drink and just visit.

To the club owner at Lorraines this is all about more sales, and since their primary product is alcholol that's got to be what he wants to sell more of. As far as increasing the sales tax revenue, this will only benefit a very small group of people, tell me how the rest of the city will benefit from this?

Walmart's about the only place open around here 24 hours a day, there aren't any 24 hour restaurants, now if folks think that suddenly main street is going to become 6th street and we'll have bar after bar popping up I think that's a mistake. This is an older community

Median Ages:
Males
40.7 yrs. Females 42.7 yrs.41.8 yrs.

20-29 year olds make up 9.3% of males and 8.9% of females,so unless the 20-29 year olds are all leaving this area because they can't drink until 2 am, and remember we're talking about 'BARS' not stores, then the population just isn't here for that type of entertainment. The older the age group, the less they hang out, they have jobs, they have responsibilities, they have kids, they're not bar hopping. And if people are hoping that somehow the Austin crowd is going to start driving out here to party, kind of doubt it. There's too much to do in Austin itself.

As for why I'm often out at 2 or 3 in the morning, I wasn't complaining about it and who said anything about it being work related? I didn't. What I said was that I'm often on the roads at those hours and I would prefer not to see more potential DWIs on the road at that time.

Last edited by nosefornews; 09-25-2009 at 08:36 AM.
nosefornews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #13
nosefornews
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Deep in the Heart Of Texas
Posts: 970
Saw this on the newsbot

"A newly-formed group promoting the tourism industry in Marble Falls has agreed to support late-night alcohol-sales efforts in the Main Street district and is planning a “Meet on Main” event for the city that mimics Austin’s “First Thursdays.”"

So again, let's not pretend this is about anything other than bar owners being able to sell more booze...it's not about having a place to meet friends, it's not about the quality of the musicians who play here, it's not about anything other than selling more drinks to people....
nosefornews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #14
Caretaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomos View Post
Somewhere in this discussion don't we have to consider DWI increasing as a possible side effect? Seems like that is being dodged.
Nomos.That question is not being dodged.Nose talked about the increase in drunks..

DWI very well could increase. But here is a solution. 1st. Have Taxi service for mainstreet.(Another biz established to increase tax revenues).I,m sure someone would want that job...2nd. Have a list posted on the wall at each bar showing all the hotels and prices.That way they have an option and know what to pay and where to go..After all We do have alot of them Hotels now and HOT wants to put heads in beds. The bars get more biz,Taxi gets biz,and all these new fancy Hotels get biz.
3rd. For the drunks who dont have a lick of sense. they can just be reminded before they walk out the door that Marble falls Finest are sitting righ down on the corner waiting for some biz too.
See they way I look at it is this..The Money wheel will keep moving.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:59 AM   #15
Caretaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosefornews View Post
Saw this on the newsbot

"A newly-formed group promoting the tourism industry in Marble Falls has agreed to support late-night alcohol-sales efforts in the Main Street district and is planning a “Meet on Main” event for the city that mimics Austin’s “First Thursdays.”"

So again, let's not pretend this is about anything other than bar owners being able to sell more booze...it's not about having a place to meet friends, it's not about the quality of the musicians who play here, it's not about anything other than selling more drinks to people....

Nose. I read that article myself.I found it kind of amusing because they met in Spicewood.They are about promoting tourism in MFs yet they had their meeting somehwere other than MFs.

I think the bar hours issue is too also benefit the hotels owners as well..They know there are some travelers looking for things to do in town other than golf, bingo, window shop, bat watching etc.

Last edited by Caretaker; 09-26-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:17 AM   #16
Karenw66
DaYdReAm BeLiEvEr
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: BTX
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosefornews View Post

To the club owner at Lorraines this is all about more sales, and since their primary product is alcholol that's got to be what he wants to sell more of. As far as increasing the sales tax revenue, this will only benefit a very small group of people, tell me how the rest of the city will benefit from this?

Walmart's about the only place open around here 24 hours a day, there aren't any 24 hour restaurants, now if folks think that suddenly main street is going to become 6th street and we'll have bar after bar popping up I think that's a mistake. This is an older community

Median Ages:
Males 40.7 yrs. Females 42.7 yrs.41.8 yrs.

20-29 year olds make up 9.3% of males and 8.9% of females,so unless the 20-29 year olds are all leaving this area because they can't drink until 2 am, and remember we're talking about 'BARS' not stores, then the population just isn't here for that type of entertainment. The older the age group, the less they hang out, they have jobs, they have responsibilities, they have kids, they're not bar hopping. And if people are hoping that somehow the Austin crowd is going to start driving out here to party, kind of doubt it. There's too much to do in Austin itself.

As for why I'm often out at 2 or 3 in the morning, I wasn't complaining about it and who said anything about it being work related? I didn't. What I said was that I'm often on the roads at those hours and I would prefer not to see more potential DWIs on the road at that time.
First of all, OUCH -- we're an "older" community because our median age is 41? I'd like to offer that it is mainly this age group that is in support of this ordinance. From reading your posts, it seems you might be anticipating a "pub crawl" "bar-hopping" atmosphere like Austin. If you've been in any clubs around here, you'll know they're nothing like those on 6th St. We are not a college town, can't really even compare this. And you're right, we have jobs, responsibilities, kids, etc ... sounds like we're responsible enough to be out until 2 am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosefornews View Post

"A newly-formed group promoting the tourism industry in Marble Falls has agreed to support late-night alcohol-sales efforts in the Main Street district and is planning a “Meet on Main” event for the city that mimics Austin’s “First Thursdays.”"

So again, let's not pretend this is about anything other than bar owners being able to sell more booze...it's not about having a place to meet friends, it's not about the quality of the musicians who play here, it's not about anything other than selling more drinks to people....
Specifically >> "let's not pretend this is about anything other than bar owners being able to sell more booze" << If people knew they had more than 1.5 to 2 hours to hang out -- more would stay local, so YES, that increases the sales. I'm inferring from this argument that the increase you're expecting is that the current sales will increase because the current patrons will drink more. While I'm sure there's some merit to that, we can't discount the increase in sales coming from an increase in patrons.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomos View Post
Somewhere in this discussion don't we have to consider DWI increasing as a possible side effect? Seems like that is being dodged.


Those that choose to drink and drive will drink and drive whether they are leaving Lorraine's, Chili's, RCG, etc or leaving Cool River, Speakeasy, etc in Austin. This is unfortunate. Consider though that the likelihood of finding a safe ride home increases the closer you are to "home".

Last edited by Karenw66; 09-25-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Karenw66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #17
nosefornews
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Deep in the Heart Of Texas
Posts: 970
We all know that this will be passed by the city council.

Karen,
Yes an increase in sales will come from an expected increase in patrons and unless we expect each of those people to only have one drink then we increase the number of possible drinking drivers and if we open more bars, they're hoping to attract more patrons, otherwise we're right back where we started and my main theory is that this area cannot support that much nightlife.

I just think that everyone should be careful about what they wish for, because turning main street into bar street isn't going to help the quality of life in this community one bit. And that is the ultimate goal of the tourist association etc, they've said so in the past and they're at least honest about it.

This area has several places where people can drink until 2, let's add 3 or 4 more because what the heck it's no big deal....

We will see an increase in dwi, we will see an increase in accidents....And as someone who absolutely opposes sobriety checkpoints, I find myself thinking well, since we're going to have more drinking, maybe those checkpoints aren't such a bad idea after all. Hopefully the MF PD can find the resources to have officers patrol the area heavily, because there's no way most bars will police themselves.

Sorry, but I think it is a big deal and I think it's going to cause more problems than anyone imagines.

So anyway, when does the council vote on this?
nosefornews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #18
tonigking
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 474
Seems to me the extended hours would encourage weekenders to come, get a hotel room, dine out, enjoy the hill country and main street, making a fun weekend out of it. Bringing much needed $$$ to the area. I agree that people who drive drunk are going to do it anyway whether going home to Austin or returning from Austin. Sixth street is not as fun as it used to be or as safe and is sooo filled with college kids.
I too have seen the 1431 speedway to get out to Partners.
Lets face it, more customers, more money, bigger police budget . That's what tourism is all about. Without tourism, higher taxes.
tonigking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #19
Sabrered
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 81
If I were a law enforcement officer, I would be licking my chops right now, for I know that instead of patrolling the highways in what might prove to be a dangerous confrontation, I can get my quota by just parking across the street and wait for some under the influence driver to get into and start his car. If that's what this city wants to become, then so be it.
Sabrered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:01 AM   #20
Editor
Mrs. Webmaster
 
Editor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Strawberry Land
Posts: 340
I really don't have an opinion. I can see both sides. But, what gets me is that the bar owners knew the law when they opened and are now crying, "change the law or we will shut down." Didn't they have a business plan when they opened? Or did that plan include "after so long we will whine and complain until the law is changed?". It's like people who buy houses next to an airport that's been there for years and then demand that the airplanes be quiet. You knew where you were moving before you moved.
__________________
Michelle Jett
Super Mod & Editor & Wife of Webmaster
Editor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #21
Caretaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,059
Editor. You made a great point with that analogy about knowing whats there or what the ordinance is before you go into biz there. Its just like the guys building on the south side of town and crying about the quarry(huber)and saying their hurting the progress for development. I think maybe they should have a sign up at city hall thats states (theres a five dollar fine for whining,we,ll tell you before you complain)..Impose one and the city will never be without extra revenue.LOL

sabered. Yeh the PD could just sit and wait for people to come out of the bars and try and fill a quota but How would you know 100% that just because a person walks out of a bar that they are under the influence? You dont know for sure. I know folks who dont drink.. Are you going to stop everyone? Couldnt that be considered profiling?
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:04 PM   #22
nosefornews
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Deep in the Heart Of Texas
Posts: 970
Quick question for the 'more bars on main street' supporters. Let's say, the ordinance is changed and bars can now stay open until 2 am, so we begin to get more bars opening, so we have Lorraines, we have the R Bar, (I think I heard that O'Neils is going to reopen anyway...) and then we get a neighbor hood bar, you know, no dancefloor, no live music, just a bar like 'Cheers' or something, then maybe a sports bar, then what's to stop someone from opening up a 'Gentleman's Club'? Maybe not a completely nude, but a place where very little if anything is left to the imagination.

Where and when and how do you draw the line at what type of clubs are opened? What do you really want your downtown known for?

And please hold the 'oh that's silly, that can't happen here comments' , because it can and if I can think of it someone else with resources can also.....
nosefornews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #23
tarheel
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 675
Y'all are reminding me of the night the police decided to crack down on a notorious watering hole. They got outside at closing time and sure enough out wanders this guy who can hardly stand up, and he staggers to his car and drives off. Even though he is breaking no law, they stop him because they saw him walking. Turns out he didn't have any drinks. Police ask him what's going on. He says, "I'm the designated decoy tonight!" Back at the bar, all the drunks are on their way home while the police are surrounding the decoy. No, it is not a true story.
tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #24
Sabrered
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 81
Caretaker, If profiling is what it takes to make our roadways safe, then so be it. If you blow a .018 then you're under the influence, and 3 beers will get you that. TABC has been known to frequent establishments that serve liquor and then relay that information to awaiting law enforcement. I would do anything and everything to keep DWI's off the highways.
Sabrered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #25
Hacksaw
Seasoned Member
 
Hacksaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 122
Sabrered now are the one that use to stay in Pardners all the Time, Just wondering??
__________________
If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin'somebody else's dog around
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
try orderin'

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:31 AM.

Aardvarks are cool


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Jett Fuel Productions, LLC - All Rights Reserved