The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Dining & Shopping

Old 05-14-2016, 08:58 AM   #1
Nomos
Seasoned Member

Food trailers: Fair? Safe?

The fair question can be relative to two audiences: the consumer and the brick & mortar restaurant. The safe question regards the health safety of the trailer facility and the usual picnic benches outdoors.

Fair to brick & mortar restaurants? And no, I have no financial interest in any restaurant. I suggest not, for two reasons. First, the same food is available at local restaurants that have made the investment and sacrifice that goes with it and who -- if they survive the trailer onslaught -- will be here when the trailers are gone. Second, the food at the trailers is actually priced higher for many (most?) items while operating at less cost and no significant permanent investment.

Fair to consumers? Their food is pricey in most instances. I've had most of the menu at the trailer across from the post office (the original, not the mexican food). Take the burger for example. It started off being a great burger. Now it is only fair. It is nowhere near as good as the burgers at Ken's or Bill's, yet is higher than all but the Bill's specialty burgers and higher than those a Ken's that include fries and a much larger and fresher piece of meat.

Are food trailers putting out safe food? Is their refrigeration as good as the restaurants? Can they be kept as clean? Who inspects them? Are those picnic tables clean?

Food trailers: I guess I just don't "get it." What do you think?
Nomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomos View Post
The fair question can be relative to two audiences: the consumer and the brick & mortar restaurant. The safe question regards the health safety of the trailer facility and the usual picnic benches outdoors.

Fair to brick & mortar restaurants? And no, I have no financial interest in any restaurant. I suggest not, for two reasons. First, the same food is available at local restaurants that have made the investment and sacrifice that goes with it and who -- if they survive the trailer onslaught -- will be here when the trailers are gone. Second, the food at the trailers is actually priced higher for many (most?) items while operating at less cost and no significant permanent investment.

Fair to consumers? Their food is pricey in most instances. I've had most of the menu at the trailer across from the post office (the original, not the mexican food). Take the burger for example. It started off being a great burger. Now it is only fair. It is nowhere near as good as the burgers at Ken's or Bill's, yet is higher than all but the Bill's specialty burgers and higher than those a Ken's that include fries and a much larger and fresher piece of meat.

Are food trailers putting out safe food? Is their refrigeration as good as the restaurants? Can they be kept as clean? Who inspects them? Are those picnic tables clean?

Food trailers: I guess I just don't "get it." What do you think?
I will put in my .02. I like the idea of the food trailers in general though having 3 locations and up to 12 spaces makes it harder imo for them to do well.
As fAR as being fair to consumers. It is up to each person buying from them to decide if it's a good deal or not. If the cost is to high in comparison with the quality of the food they probably won't get a repeat customer. I stopped getting burgers from the one next the p o when the second owner left as the cost just did match up to the quality that they were before. .
Now as far as these being fair to the brick and mortar restaurants. A little competition helps thems even though these food trailers draw very little away from the b a m s.. it's kind of hard for them since parking is minimal at the food courts. And it is not that cheap to get started. I have seen used top of the line trailers going for 30k and up.recouping just the cost of the trailer takes a while. Then they have the lot rental,electric, water and fuel costs. It's a sacrafice to these guys just as much as the b a m s.
Keep in mind to that during the weekdays many of the construction workers will buy from the places rather then going into the sit in joints .
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:13 AM   #3
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
I'm not threatened or affected significantly by these food trucks. The citizens of Marble Falls are, by not collecting property taxes from the establishment. I pay about $16K/year of property taxes, in addition to sales tax. What are the trucks paying the city to operate?

No biggie
KINGCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:58 PM   #4
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
I'm not threatened or affected significantly by these food trucks. The citizens of Marble Falls are, by not collecting property taxes from the establishment. I pay about $16K/year of property taxes, in addition to sales tax. What are the trucks paying the city to operate?

No biggie
They may not pay property taxes directly but the owners of the trailer courts do and so part of of the space rental goes to pay for it. The biggest difference is how much a bams pays compared a food court when it comes to value.. the food trailers also collect sales tax or are supposed to.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food , food courts , food trailers , restaurants