The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Dining & Shopping

Old 03-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #1
ladybutton
Seasoned Member

New Mexican food truck across from post office in MF

I tried it today.

It's awful. I can't eat half the carne asada taco.
ladybutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #2
Nomos
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybutton View Post
I tried it today.

It's awful. I can't eat half the carne asada taco.
I have heard from several people that the food is really greasy and not tasty.

Why does the city allow food trucks that pay little in the way of overhead and compete with our "regular" food places? Does anyone know how that works?
Nomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #3
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomos View Post
I have heard from several people that the food is really greasy and not tasty.

Why does the city allow food trucks that pay little in the way of overhead and compete with our "regular" food places? Does anyone know how that works?
I have not had a chance to try that place yet but use to eat from the food trailer next to it.
As far as why the city allows these places. Could be that these are not much threat competition wise to the other food places in town. Pl u s they offer an alternative for folks who would rather try something other then the national chain eateries. These food trailers do have overhead. Rental space cost, electric ,gas etc. It's not an easy biz to be in.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:52 AM   #4
Reapp
Super Moderator

They allow it because this is America.
Reapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:03 AM   #5
freedom
Seasoned Member

I disagree Reapp, they allow it because it slipped thru the cracks. Years ago no one would ever have dreamed the food trailer craze would become what it has become. Food trailers are a direct result of the criminally high property taxes that the commercial property must pay. The overhead that a brick and mortar store pays far far exceeds tax dollars the trailers generate.
My opinion is all....
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:56 AM   #6
Brian

Why would the city allow us to order products online instead of shopping at our local Wal Mart?
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #7
swpilot

You may have somewhat of a valid point freedom, but competition is great most anytime. Your handle says it all , Freedom. Too bad the place isnt that good. We certainly need more options here in MF. BTW does anyone know if Taco Casa is planning on rebuilding. I am pretty sure they are not going to.
swpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:25 PM   #8
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Why would the city allow us to order products online instead of shopping at our local Wal Mart?
Hmmm. Could it be we just have generous council leaders.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:33 PM   #9
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
I disagree Reapp, they allow it because it slipped thru the cracks. Years ago no one would ever have dreamed the food trailer craze would become what it has become. Food trailers are a direct result of the criminally high property taxes that the commercial property must pay. The overhead that a brick and mortar store pays far far exceeds tax dollars the trailers generate.
My opinion is all....
If food trailers are a direct result of criminally high property taxes then it would be safe to say that high taxes for homeowners are why we have micro houses becoming a new craze. If we are to cure this cycle of high taxes creating smaller is better,then property taxes need to be eliminated.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:02 AM   #10
tarheel
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretaker View Post
If we are to cure this cycle of high taxes creating smaller is better,then property taxes need to be eliminated.
Government, whether large or small, has to have some source of income. If we eliminate property taxes, and income taxes are already gone, then sales taxes is about it, or some form of European style VAT. VAT is a diabolical tax, for many reasons, but it does have one redeeming "virtue" ... no one escapes it. Some who have cash income may escape income tax, but they can not escape VAT. Everybody pays.
tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:57 AM   #11
ladybutton
Seasoned Member

Tarheel, an underground cash economy will continue to flourish even with a VAT. The VAT will catch more tax evaders, but there will still be a need for reporting and enforcement.

Interesting that I started talking about Mexican food and we've bunnytrailed into property taxes. Must be Easter.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:02 AM   #12
Doublehorn
Seasoned Member

Is this a New Mexican food truck or a new Mexican food truck? New Mexican food is more like Spanish cuisine. I like the Mexican food served in Albuquerque which is more Spanish.

However, I presume you're referring to Tex-Mex food....I love Tex-Mex food too if it's done right.
Doublehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #13
ladybutton
Seasoned Member

A new food truck, serving Mexican food. Overpriced and awful. Even the Blue Bonnet does a better job.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:28 PM   #14
Belle
Seasoned Member

Oh my and I thought we were headed to a precursor to the Boston Tea Party silly me...lol
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #15
Primadonna
Seasoned Member

I would love to see a Pappasito's food truck! I haven't found a good fajita yet in this area.
Primadonna is offline   Reply With Quote