The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Community Discussions > City Topics > Marble Falls

Old 08-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
countryboy
Seasoned Member

lake marble falls Subdivision again

Well looks like the lake marble falls subdivision is still a topic for the newspapers again.. One of the property owners did a letter to the editor posting some of the facts about what has NOT been done since that area was annexed in 2008.. I am sure there are many more Facts that were not included in the letter since you are only allowed so many words per article.

Once again the city has BSd those who fell victim to involuntary annexations. Should they honor what they said they would do or De annex?
countryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
GScitizen

Location: Sherwood Shores area, Granite Shoals, Tx and proud of it
FYI, Any Texas city annexation has a time limit for provision of all services by the City (2 years). If such provisioning is not done within that time period then disannexation is a remedy, and it is required by a petition of a majority of the qualified voters of the area involved. Disannexation must then be provided within 60 days. The methods and procedures are in Texas Law. Local Gov't Code Sec 43.141
GScitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScitizen View Post
FYI, Any Texas city annexation has a time limit for provision of all services by the City (2 years). If such provisioning is not done within that time period then disannexation is a remedy, and it is required by a petition of a majority of the qualified voters of the area involved. Disannexation must then be provided within 60 days. The methods and procedures are in Texas Law. Local Gov't Code Sec 43.141

Actually it is 2 1/2 years in most cases. And even though the city did state it would be 2 1/2 from the time they voted to proceed with annexation, that,s not what happened.Area was annexed in April of 2008.. In the case of the LMF subdivision it could be extended to 4 1/2 years due to topography and density of residents. Now it is now 2 years past that time. 6 1/2 years total since the date of annexation.

Also It is to my understanding the city did discuss De Annexing for failing to provide what they are required to do but that the city attorney said they had fulfilled their obligations due to the water and sewer lines touching the edge of the subdivision. Which is not what the city claimed would be done in 2008. The claim was that water and Sewer lines would be to the Edge of EACH property.

There are over 45 tracts in the LMF and some of those have changed hands over the last several years. So that complicates matters even more as many of those buyers assumed these things would happen.. Then you have vacant tracks which have no homes on them and the owners live else where so they are Not qualified voters of the area.Those owners do not count if a petition is started but that does make it easier for the ones who have been there all this time so the petition would need very few signatures.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
GScitizen

Thank you for your more appropriate and detailed clarification. I was only speaking on the basics in general. The reason I provided the Texas Law code. However, you have thoughtfully, most appropriately, and more specifically clarified things for the people of that area. Kudos..
Old 09-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScitizen View Post
Thank you for your more appropriate and detailed clarification. I was only speaking on the basics in general. The reason I provided the Texas Law code. However, you have thoughtfully, most appropriately, and more specifically clarified things for the people of that area. Kudos..
Thank you. I usually do try and point out the facts. I think I learned that from watching Dragnet.. I should have also pointed out tons more relating to that annexation just to put a bug in the council members ears.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:47 PM   #6
GScitizen

Usually I do not reply to the Marble Falls things even though keeping up with them and my intention was to refer people to the Texas Law part. I am certainly glad there are others, like yourself, and I, that prefer to deal in facts instead of suppositions and misdirections as has been found to be the case in many instances. I have found that there are several ways to get the truth and real facts but peeling away some layers at times can be time consuming.

One of the interesting things about the Inbox messages on this site. One never knows what may pop up to consider directions.

Having had some experience involving annexations and "other matters" when working in the City of Austin Planning Department years ago, I know that sometimes what City Hall people put out is not always the whole of things. Most any city for that matter. Many times they say only what they want people to hear or what people think they want to hear. As I believe you well know.

Last edited by GScitizen; 09-03-2014 at 12:51 PM.