The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Community Discussions > City Topics > Marble Falls

Old 07-18-2014, 01:48 AM   #1
jlharrison

Traffic in Marble Falls

I visited Marble Falls last Monday-Tuesday and noticed that the traffic was heavy most of the time on 281 and even on other roads as well, but the traffic never came to a complete stop. Is this common? How bad does it get on the weekends? Is this expected to get much better after the construction of the second bridge (which looks close to being finished)?

Last edited by jlharrison; 07-18-2014 at 01:51 AM.
jlharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:52 AM   #2
JWebb
Seasoned Member

This is summer. School is out and we have lots of visitors this time of year. Where are you from?
JWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
jlharrison

That makes sense. I'm from Lumberton, Texas. It's about 20 minutes north of Beaumont and about two hours east of Houston.
jlharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
Bentley

Kingsland is the "hot spot" for summer vacationers with all of the lake house rentals, boating, fishing, etc. They have to come to Marble Falls to get their groceries and hit Walmart.
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
Reapp
Super Moderator

or to use the lake or the many parks or the bars or all the restaurants or the.... you get it.
Reapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:53 AM   #6
thedouglar

Don't be fooled! Traffic is like this most of the time. School is out now but when it resumes we have the every day school traffic even though it's not the summer traffic. Also, there are several weekends of every year that they host "special events" including the Boat Races (who can do no wrong) that put extra traffic in town and close some streets. Oh, BTW, could do without the bars. Some of us really like the small town feel and don't need intoxicated folks driving around town.
thedouglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:24 AM   #7
JWebb
Seasoned Member

jlharrison - I hope you enjoyed your stay in our beautiful little town despite the traffic.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:30 PM   #8
Caretaker

The traffic is only bad at certain times and it will be better once the bridge is finished. Also as other areas see improvements those spots will get better too. Now if they get a loop in then you will see speedy traffic flows.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #9
butchkemper
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretaker View Post
The traffic is only bad at certain times and it will be better once the bridge is finished. Also as other areas see improvements those spots will get better too. Now if they get a loop in then you will see speedy traffic flows.
I do not believe that a loop around town will occur in our lifetimes unless we live to be 100 years old. Such a loop would be a $50-100 million project and neither Marble Falls or the County has that kind of funding.

The improvement that would significantly relieve traffic congestion in Marble Falls would be a road connecting RR 2147 and RR 1431 with a bridge on the downstream side of Wirtz dam. This plan was discussed several years ago and got a cold reception from LCRA.

Butch
butchkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #10
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchkemper View Post
I do not believe that a loop around town will occur in our lifetimes unless we live to be 100 years old. Such a loop would be a $50-100 million project and neither Marble Falls or the County has that kind of funding.

The improvement that would significantly relieve traffic congestion in Marble Falls would be a road connecting RR 2147 and RR 1431 with a bridge on the downstream side of Wirtz dam. This plan was discussed several years ago and got a cold reception from LCRA.

Butch
I have to agree with you on that. It sure wont happen in my lifetime. Now a bridge across the Wirtz dam area would a very smart move for the east side. heck it would even give the Bike racers alternatives to..
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #11
curious
Seasoned Member

A loop around town will never happen as long as there is the EDC. They couldn't care less about traffic, in fact, the slower the better. Motorists might see their signs and businesses.
curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #12
butchkemper
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious View Post
A loop around town will never happen as long as there is the EDC. They couldn't care less about traffic, in fact, the slower the better. Motorists might see their signs and businesses.
Your comments about the MF EDC's influence and power in the development of a major road project such as a bypass loop is incorrect. We would have a role but our influence on the project would be minor.

I am quite sure that a bypass loop would reduce traffic in Marble Falls. However, that reduction would have a profound, negative impact on our city's business community, the economic activity of businesses in the city, and the overall economic health of our community. But given all those changes, we would have reduced traffic in Marble Falls.

My final comments and thoughts on this subject are "when you are caught up in the Marble Falls traffic jam, take a couple of deep, cleansing breaths, and enjoy your life in paradise."

Butch
butchkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:56 AM   #13
JWebb
Seasoned Member

Butch - I couldn't agree more :-). After we lived here awhile we learned the alternate routes and in the process discovered little gems off the main roads. Now, if folks really want to see traffic they can travel to Houston, or even Austin.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #14
ladybutton
Seasoned Member

I am really starting to hate living here, because of the traffic.
And I grew up in Dallas, and I know traffic.
ladybutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:09 AM   #15
JWebb
Seasoned Member

ladybutton, anytime I start to think about traffic in Marble Falls I remember the Central Experssway in Dallas and the 610 WLS @ 59 in Houston. :-)
Old 08-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #16
ladybutton
Seasoned Member

Ah, well, when I lived there, I made it an ironclad policy NEVER to drive Central Expressway!
ladybutton is offline   Reply With Quote