The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Community Discussions > City Topics > Marble Falls

Old 07-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #1
jlharrison

Reliable internet?

I'm considering moving to Marble Falls and am concerned about what I've read about the internet service in this area. Is it still bad or is there a reliable and fast ISP that I can use? Thanks!

Last edited by jlharrison; 07-13-2014 at 09:31 AM.
jlharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
butchkemper
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlharrison View Post
I'm considering moving to Marble Falls and am concerned about what I've read about the internet service in this area. Is it still bad or is there a reliable and fast ISP that I can use? Thanks!
Well, it all depends on where you live/are going to live:
  • Marble Falls is a city with two cable systems offering Internet: Northland Cable and Time-Warner.
  • There are several wireless Internet service providers in the area and again it depends on where you live.

I use Northland Cable for my Internet service and I am pleased. I also hear good things about Time-Warner.

For full disclosure, I used to own and operate TSTAR Internet which I thought was the best wireless service available. I retired and sold the business and the new folks did not maintain my standards.

Butch
butchkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
jlharrison

Thanks for your help! I've found four apartment complexes that I'm going to look at when I visit. If I have a couple that I like and can determine which is likely to have the best internet service, that may be the deciding factor. Do you know how I can determine this?

Last edited by jlharrison; 07-13-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
jlharrison

I'm figuring getting closer to the ISP is the way to do that. I found this address in Google maps for "Northland Communications" in Marble Falls:

1101 Mission Hills Dr
Marble Falls, TX 78654

Is that the address that I need to try to get close to?
Old 07-13-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
kennedylaw
Law Guy

I have internet through Northland cable at my office and Verizon DSL at home (both in Marble Falls). Time-Warner also covers much of Marble Falls. All three offer residential telephone and internet packages. I believe that you can check for availability at specific addresses on each of their websites.
kennedylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
jlharrison

I'm mainly concerned with whether the service actually works or not. They may say you get 6 Mbps but it may actually be much less and unreliable. I've read that, at least in the past, people have had major issues with internet service in this area. I haven't found many recent posts on the subject.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:01 PM   #7
butchkemper
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlharrison View Post
I'm mainly concerned with whether the service actually works or not. They may say you get 6 Mbps but it may actually be much less and unreliable. I've read that, at least in the past, people have had major issues with internet service in this area. I haven't found many recent posts on the subject.
Don't believe all the posts that you can read. The number of people making posts is a small subset of the customer base so a few soreheads posting negative results can really skew the curve.

My Northland service is sold as 12Mbps down with 1Mbps up and that is what I get.

No problems with service. It works.

Butch
butchkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:07 AM   #8
jlharrison

Awesome. Thanks a bunch for your help!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #9
ladybutton
Seasoned Member

I live outside the city limits and all tower access is blocked. I use HughesNet, and it's good and reliable. Goes out whenever there's a thunderstorm.
ladybutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #10
Nomos
Seasoned Member

I have Northland in two locations and get the advertised speed and when there is a problem, they are very responsive. Northland is truly local. The management lives here. Time Warner is trying to break in but I like to support local businesses.
Nomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:56 AM   #11
kennedylaw
Law Guy

I agree with Butch and Nomos about Northland. I have Internet through Northland at my office. The service is reliable and the company is very responsive to any problems.

I have Verizon DSL at home mainly because I don't have Northland cable access. Verizon has been fairly reliable, but I pay more for a slower connection.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #12
kennedylaw
Law Guy

Fortunately, we don't have Comcast.

Man records nightmarish attempt to cancel cable, Comcast apologizes
http://www.wtop.com/1374/3662942/Man...ast-apologizes
Old 07-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #13
Frank_Reilly
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Frank_Reilly Send a message via Skype™ to Frank_Reilly
Comcast Acquiring Time Warner via Merger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedylaw View Post
Fortunately, we don't have Comcast.

Man records nightmarish attempt to cancel cable, Comcast apologizes
http://www.wtop.com/1374/3662942/Man...ast-apologizes
Not yet Neal, but it looks like we will very soon, and without a choice to the existing Time Warner customers: http://corporate.comcast.com/news-in...st-corporation
Frank_Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:55 PM   #14
Uncle4teenie

I have had both cable services and I would recommend Time Warner. They are expensive but their technicians know how to hook up your connection correctly and service outages are few and far between. I hear they are adding a fiber optic cable in some areas.
Uncle4teenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:42 AM   #15
JakRussll
Seasoned Member

Any other reviews on Time Warner internet? I have been with Northland for about 9 years now (mostly positive). Lately though I am just not getting the speed that I pay for. When I run Speedtest.net I vary from 12 Mps to 16 Mps even though I pay for higher. I am told that with TW I will get 50 Mps or more for about the same money.

I used to be able to call the local Northland office and get a problems quickly solved. Lately though when I call the office it rolls over to the company call center. After going through the prompts and a few redirects I finally reach a "scheduler" who will make a service appointment for me. The last two times those next appointments were over two weeks out. Not good!

So, just thinking about giving TW a try and would like some feedback. Thx
Old 10-20-2016, 06:14 AM   #16
JWebb
Seasoned Member

The calls do go to the call center now but if you visit the office here in Marble Falls they are very responsive.
JWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:29 AM   #17
kef13

Can anyone tell me about ISPs service Pecan Valley area? Reliability/speed?
Thanks!
kef13 is offline   Reply With Quote