The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Community Discussions > City Topics > Marble Falls

Old 02-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
freedom

The new bridge, where is the water gonna go

I'm probably missing something here but if you look at the new bridge and imagine a strong rain (someday it will), where will the water run off to?
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
Caretaker

Thats a good question. I have not seen much in the way of holes along the sides that could let water out but there are two Steel grates on the north end of the first bridge that water can run down. On the second bridge i believe there are some typical storm drains in a couple spots near the ends. Not sure what the middle will have if anything.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:17 AM   #3
freedom

Yes there are grates at the north end but nothing else , no scuppers, no drains anywhere. The bridge is so terribly built ( as told to me by lead engineers on other texdot jobs) as witnessed by the rollor coaster look of the surface and the eastern rail/wall. There are remarkably low spots that will be holding quite a bit of water...wonder how that will work out as you hit it in your car. Just one mans opinion...
Old 02-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
Nomos
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Yes there are grates at the north end but nothing else , no scuppers, no drains anywhere. The bridge is so terribly built ( as told to me by lead engineers on other texdot jobs) as witnessed by the rollor coaster look of the surface and the eastern rail/wall. There are remarkably low spots that will be holding quite a bit of water...wonder how that will work out as you hit it in your car. Just one mans opinion...
Glad to hear others have noticed these things. Also, the road striping is terrible in creating dangerous lanes, especially turning left to Starbucks.
Nomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
Reapp
Super Moderator

Can we not wait until the entire project is finished before we start condemning it to failure?
Reapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:30 AM   #6
Nomos
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reapp View Post
Can we not wait until the entire project is finished before we start condemning it to failure?
No, because that entire east side is obviously not totally right. Will it fall down? No, but it sure looks shoddy.
Nomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #7
mdarling
Seasoned Member

Reapp, I'm with you. Whoever those "texdot" lead engineers are should be blowing the whistle a little more loudly if they have legitimate problems with these two spans. Also, several months ago there was an article in the Highlander regading the surface of the east span. The current surface, according to the article, is not the final surface. It will be resurfaced once the new span is finished.

As to the turn lane coming off 2147, I seriously doubt that it will remain in the configuration that is currently there. TXDOT needs to finish the new span first; and then work on the southbound lanes.

My biggest concern is the northbound people turning left to get to Chili's/River City Grill/Hampton Inn, etc. That turn is really dangerous.
mdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #8
freedom

Reapp, waiting until a project is finished to address shoddy workmanship/engineering is one heck of a time to address it.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #9
Reapp
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Reapp, waiting until a project is finished to address shoddy workmanship/engineering is one heck of a time to address it.
Griping on an internet forum is even less effective.

If these "engineers" have a legitimate concern about the bridge they should say something about it, I would think they are negligent if they don't. Again, the surface is not final and there have been no issues with it holding water, although we've only had a few instances of rain that actually caused standing water. I will be glad when the second span is finished and it is more of a straight shot across rather than the way it is now.

Last edited by Reapp; 02-10-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Reapp is offline   Reply With Quote