The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Community Discussions > City Topics > Marble Falls

Old 02-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
Immune
Seasoned Member

Neon signs at Blue Bonnet Cafe, other businesses could dim under ordinance

Seriously? Council members need to focus on more important issues or go out and get a hobby. This is starting to get ridiculous.

http://dailytrib.com/governmentnews/...alls-ordinance
Immune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Reapp
Super Moderator

Did you actually do any research before you posted this?
Reapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
mdarling
Seasoned Member

Frankly, I'm all for some kind of ordinance on signage in Marble Falls. The one that really gets me, is the one on Bella Spa on 281. A flashing sign right next to an historical building. The first time I noticed it, it was flashing "massage, massage, massage". Felt like I was back in Bangkok! And, that spotlight that circles around the night sky obliterating the stars and moon--do we really need that?
mdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Immune
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reapp View Post
Did you actually do any research before you posted this?
Research what? I think its pretty clear and to the point. There are in fact much more important issues needing addressed than policing lights through more ordinances. Nothing misleading or inaccurate about my post.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
Soccermom

Signage

I also agree that we need to have restriction on signs, I feel like this is an important ordinance. You don't want the 281 area to turn into something like Kileen, Signs everywhere and at all differant sizes- and I feel like those electronic signs are a safety issue. I like the historic Neon signs but not the Vegas style flashing electronic signs. Keep those out!
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
Doublehorn
Seasoned Member

The Blue Bonnet Cafe is basically a historical landmark & I would hope they should be allowed to retain their sign.

I think there are more serious issues for local govts to tackle than signs.

I'm betting with the growing proximity of Austin, it wont be long before we will be hearing about installing bicycle lanes, banning plastic bags, solar farms, & other critical issues...

God save us....
Doublehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
whiteorchid
Seasoned Member

Neon signs don't bother me, even the Bella sign. It's the big bright cheap-looking signs such as "Burke's Outlet" that literally ruin the beauty of the town.
whiteorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
Reapp
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immune View Post
Research what? I think its pretty clear and to the point. There are in fact much more important issues needing addressed than policing lights through more ordinances. Nothing misleading or inaccurate about my post.
Research the actual ordinance that includes a grandfather clause....
Old 02-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
timflan

I know this is off topic but it does regard lights in town, ruining the night sky etc.. I'm referring to the 84 (yes I counted them) street lights on Manzano Mile, the road to nowhere, that burn all night, every night! What a waste of money when all the city does is cry about the budget, no money yada yada yada... Then raise our taxes as a quick fix. Seems priorities in town are sometimes a bit off. I better save my 2 cents to help pay taxes.
timflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
Reapp
Super Moderator

The lights do serve a purpose, makes for an excellent jogging path when I run at night. There are some changes in the works for the lights.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
timflan

That's an awful expensive "jogging trail".
timflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #12
mrdonkhan

What more goverenment intrusion on small business and you guys are for it? Wow do I live in a Blue area in a Red State?
mrdonkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
Feline

Signs

The sign ordinance is an important tool in identifying the signature of your town. I believe it really is one of the most important ordinances that councils tackle and struggle with in many cities. You have to come up with a good mix of what is right to protect business as well as what is considered obtrusive and hurts the image of your town. As pointed out there is a grandfather clause protecting current property owner (even if there signs are damaged and they have to replace). There are also variances built into ordinances to help special situations. This ordinance as well as all the others will be evergreen documents and serve as a guide for how we want the future of our city to look and flow. Do we want signs and billboards all over 281 or do we want a certain height restriction to protect the views around our beautiful city. Do we want electronic signs flashing at us as we drive or do we want to see quaint small town feel signs assisting in our destination? Come to council and please voice what you think. I believe the council members love hearing from the public rather than staff all the time. I have been to a few council meetings and there are some great discussions that take place and the votes are hardly ever unanimous. It's really kinda cool watching democracy at work.
Feline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
Caretaker

I say let the buisnesses have what ever type of sign they want.. They make money which in turn fills up the citys coffers.After all thats the goal isnt it? Geesh whats next.Making a color ordinance so only buildings can be painted a certain shade of brown.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #15
Doublehorn
Seasoned Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretaker View Post
I say let the buisnesses have what ever type of sign they want.. They make money which in turn fills up the citys coffers.After all thats the goal isnt it? Geesh whats next.Making a color ordinance so only buildings can be painted a certain shade of brown.

I totally agree. Why infringe on the right to make money? Especially during this day & time when the economy is sputtering - at best. One would think govt would get outta the way & stop inhibiting people to earn an honest living. It goes from those who repair & install signs to customers who might actually get some info from that sign that would spur them to spend what little money they have.
Doublehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:31 AM   #16
ohcuriousone
Seasoned Member

The City is going to make you forget how mad you were

about the sign ordinance.

Check out the agenda for tonight's meeting starting at 6pm. Item 7-d is for "Public Hearing, Discussion and Action on the First Reading of Ordinance 2012-O-02F and waiving the second reading regarding the adoption of the City of Marble Falls Downtown Master Plan."

Go to the city's website, watch the video on the Downtown Master Plan. Under the blue bar titled "Community Interest", it's the 7th item. Watch to the end and make careful note of the changes that the folks want to make. Also note the relocation of a current building. Does the city own that property? No they don't. Is that property for sale? No it's not. Can you say "condemnation"? Do the downtown merchants want this? No they don't. Can you imagine only having limited parallel parking on Main St.

Folks, if you think you taxes are high now - wait until you pay for a train to nowhere, no place to park and taking peoples homes.

Fill up city hall tonight and show our city fathers what you think. Oh, and stick around, the sign ordinance is item 7-g.
ohcuriousone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #17
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohcuriousone View Post
about the sign ordinance.

Check out the agenda for tonight's meeting starting at 6pm. Item 7-d is for "Public Hearing, Discussion and Action on the First Reading of Ordinance 2012-O-02F and waiving the second reading regarding the adoption of the City of Marble Falls Downtown Master Plan."

Go to the city's website, watch the video on the Downtown Master Plan. Under the blue bar titled "Community Interest", it's the 7th item. Watch to the end and make careful note of the changes that the folks want to make. Also note the relocation of a current building. Does the city own that property? No they don't. Is that property for sale? No it's not. Can you say "condemnation"? Do the downtown merchants want this? No they don't. Can you imagine only having limited parallel parking on Main St.

Folks, if you think you taxes are high now - wait until you pay for a train to nowhere, no place to park and taking peoples homes.

Fill up city hall tonight and show our city fathers what you think. Oh, and stick around, the sign ordinance is item 7-g.

That video was taken down by the user.So folks online cannot see it.
Also is it possible that the property owner already has a deal with the city or edc for the land?If not they need to read up on condemnation, what state law allows and the process for the city to actually accomplish the taking of private property.

As far as the sign issue. the ord will pass by a 5/2 vote.At least thats my prediction.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #18
Reapp
Super Moderator

It's not about "the man" keeping people down, it's about trying to preserve the look of our town. I've lived here most of my life and don't want to see this turn into Killeen or a mini Las Vegas.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #19
Immune
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reapp View Post
It's not about "the man" keeping people down, it's about trying to preserve the look of our town. I've lived here most of my life and don't want to see this turn into Killeen or a mini Las Vegas.
lol @ mini Las Vegas, we are not even close to that. Infact with electric rates through the roof, I see this issue working its way out. I think its over reactions on peoples part. There are some people that I think would die if they didnt have something to complain and make laws and ordinances about. I am a firm believer in property rights.
There are times when there is safety involved when I can see some city intervention.
As long as the sign isnt obscene or flashing live nudes or something questionable, I dont think its a big deal.