The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Community Discussions > City Topics > Marble Falls

Old 01-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
Caretaker

Petition to extend WET areas for Alchohol

Ok So They are doing a petition to be able to get annexed areas to be included with the rest of the city in the sale of alchohol. What do folks think. pros cons etc.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:07 AM   #2
JWebb
Seasoned Member

I signed the petition @ Save the World's brewery yesterday afternoon. I was very impressed with these folks and don't see why they should be treated any differently than the rest of Marble Falls.
JWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
mdarling
Seasoned Member

One of the controversies has been that businesses in the technology park are not supposed to be setting up retail sales in the park. However, I see no problem with extending WET to all parts of the city of Marble Falls--fair is fair. Of course, in other areas of Burnet County (which is dry) places have a membership deal for a nominal fee. As a "club" they can sell alcohol. Spicewood Springs Winery had to get a special license, dispensation, or something to be able to sell wine on their premises. Interesting, when a county is dry but the towns/cities can decide which way they will go.
mdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
Christian Fletcher

Thanks for signing the petition, JWebb. The Rathkamps are great people and deserve our support.

Regarding the concern about retail sales in the Business and Technology Park, that prohibition was eliminated when the EDC became a Type 'B' corporation in 2007. (Type 'B' Corporations can expend funds on retail projects, affordable housing, park improvements, tourism, etc. in addition to the primary job creation that is the focus of Type 'A' Corporations.) With that said, retail in the Park must be a supporting activity rather than a primary activity because of zoning regulations, adjacent businesses, and the mission of and support given by the EDC. This is the case with Save the World Brewing Company: their primary business enterprise is brewing, bottling, and distributing beer, but on-site retail sales will go a long way in generating awareness of their business and the community as a whole.

If anyone has any other questions or would like to sign the petition to get this issue on the May ballot, please let me know.

Thanks,
Christian Fletcher
Marble Falls EDC
Christian Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Fletcher View Post
Thanks for signing the petition, JWebb. The Rathkamps are great people and deserve our support.

Regarding the concern about retail sales in the Business and Technology Park, that prohibition was eliminated when the EDC became a Type 'B' corporation in 2007. (Type 'B' Corporations can expend funds on retail projects, affordable housing, park improvements, tourism, etc. in addition to the primary job creation that is the focus of Type 'A' Corporations.) With that said, retail in the Park must be a supporting activity rather than a primary activity because of zoning regulations, adjacent businesses, and the mission of and support given by the EDC. This is the case with Save the World Brewing Company: their primary business enterprise is brewing, bottling, and distributing beer, but on-site retail sales will go a long way in generating awareness of their business and the community as a whole.

If anyone has any other questions or would like to sign the petition to get this issue on the May ballot, please let me know.

Thanks,
Christian Fletcher
Marble Falls EDC
What i find interesting is the cities website already shows this as a Local option election. Which makes it look as if its a done deal to be on the ballot..

I also wonder if this passes at the ballot box. Will these folks brewery be in compliance with Sec 4.2 paragraph C of the cities muni code?
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
Christian Fletcher

Good catch, Caretaker. I believe some additional language has been added to the City's web site. This is by no means a done deal. We have just over 300 signatures (unofficially) out of the 436 we need.

If this measure passes, the microbrewery will be in compliance with all City ordinances, including Sec. 4-2 (c), because they will not be a package store or sell mixed beverages.
Christian Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #7
DWrath

Thanks to everyone who has signed our petition and all the great people who went out of their way to get those signatures. We are really excited to become an integral part of the Marble Falls community. My wife and I have been welcomed by everyone with open arms and have been overwhelmed by the support and kindness of the community. We hope to create rewarding solid jobs, a place where people can meet as a community, and a model business that gives their proceeds to charitable organizations. We look forward to meeting each one of you as we build our lives here. Only a few more votes to go until the deadline this Friday. Thanks again Marble Falls!
Dave Rathkamp
Save The World Brewing Co
Marble Falls, TX
DWrath is offline   Reply With Quote