The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Hobbies

Old 03-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
lmam88
Seasoned Member

Salt Water Aquariums...

We have one (75gals) and are having a reoccuring problem with the green algae taking over. Have asked the people at the pet store but have not had much success with their recommendations. We have numerous slugs, snails, shrimp and clams in it now. Getting ready to add some Tangs as well...
Anyone have any recommendations?
lmam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
bobbypuccio
Banned

well, a few things to check, how much light are you giving the tank, about 8-10 hours on a timer is plenty. Do you have a protein skimmer? What kind of filter do you have? bio (we dry system) or chemical? Are you doing 20 percent water changes EVERY 3 to 4 weeks, that is mandatory. Also, you can only have so many inches of fish per gallon of water. I see you said you wanted to add tangs, if they are the same kind there are rules you need to follow, yellow tangs can be added either as one or many, never two, they will fight. I would get a salt water book at an aquarium store and also look online to make sure the fish are going to be compatible with your other fish and corals. The first things i'd try to clear up the green algae is to do water changes every week, 10 percent of the water, make sure your using RO water as well. Is sunlight shining in on the tank as well? turn back the amount of time the light is on as well. I wouldn't put ANY chemicals in the tank to kill it as this will kill any bacteria in your filter which will be like starting all over again. I can't say it enough but the water changes are the biggest key and also have you added any fish recently, that can take a little for the filter to catch up.
bobbypuccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
Wish I was set up to do a saltwater. I always wanted one.
KINGCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
lmam88
Seasoned Member

We have a timer on the lights that goes off after 8 hours. The filter system is bio and we have 3 of them on the tank. We have it away from the windows so that would not be an issue. We never knew the rule about the Tangs and have not had very good luck with them in the past (we have bought them in pairs) so I am very glad you brought that up! We use to have a Chocolate Chip Star Fish that was the culprit of alot of the fish dying too.
We will zone in on those water changes as I think you are right that is the most important thing and when things get hectic und around here they don't always get done right on time! Thanks for all the info. bobbypuccio!
King chip, I personally am more partial to freshwater tanks because they are easier (don't have to mess with so much chemistry). However the selection of salt water fish surpasses the freshwater by far. They are so much more beautiful (and espensive)! They do take more time and patience but it is well worth it! We actually have a second 75 gal tank we will be getting up and going as soon as we complete the remodeling.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
bobbypuccio
Banned

A chocolate chip star wouldn't eat fish, at least not any healthy fish. They eat by sucking, they are detrimental to corals, anemones, etc.. but not a healthy floating fish, They couldn't catch it. You should only have about 3 inches of fish for every square foot of water, 1 inch per gallon for fresh, since fresh has more dissolved oxygen in it, less dense the salt. Also, do you have live rock, that helps with the ammonia spikes and helps the bio filter out.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
lmam88
Seasoned Member

Do you count the slugs, clams, shrimp etc. as fish as well on the 3in. of water rule? He has the entire back of the tank lined with the live rock with loads of mushrooms growing out of alot of them.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
bobbypuccio
Banned

no, you wouldn't count those. You have to do water changes, that's probably the most important thing there is, can't skip them or your fish will suffer. Do you have a protein skimmer? That's also a must have, one last thing, do you have good current through your tank?
Old 03-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
lmam88
Seasoned Member

K, that is good to know! Yes we have good current going throughout the tank. Need to stay on track with the water changes though...
We lost one of our new clams but I don't know if that was from the tank or due to transport. Hubby ordered them from an online store for the first time...
Old 03-17-2010, 08:36 AM   #9
lmam88
Seasoned Member

Re: Tangs

Bobbypuccio, how many Tangs would you put in a 75gal aquarium? We are looking at a medium Blue Hippo, Med. Yellow Tang and a Sailfin Tang. Would that be too many do you think?
Old 03-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #10
bobbypuccio
Banned

yes, way too many, the sailfin is the hardiest of them all, they do require alot of space to swim, alot of rock to hide in and sleep, and a very good current. They do not like placid tanks. You also don't want to put that many in at a time as well.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #11
lmam88
Seasoned Member

Ok, thanks!
Old 03-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
lmam88
Seasoned Member

Marine Life Census

I never knew there was such a thing! They apparently discovered thousands of new species while taking the census. This is a really cool video for anyone that is interested in salt water creatures. Enjoy!

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...vered/26hq2zzf
Old 02-12-2014, 02:16 AM   #13
TX_HCG

75 Gal Aquarium Available

I have a never used 75 Gal aquarium. I travel too much to stock it. Anyone interested, send me an offer.
TX_HCG is offline   Reply With Quote