The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Hobbies

Old 02-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
sallygator

Angry Quilters and Sewers:

The Wal-Mart store in Marble Falls currently has a fabric section. Corporate is looking at getting rid of this section. For those who want to help keep it here, call their corporate office and tell them your opinion. I believe the number is 800-wal-mart.
sallygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
kateeis
Seasoned Member

quilters and sewers

I do not understand the corporate mind. A couple of years ago Wal-Mart did away with most of their quilting and sewing department. They really don't have much, but maybe enough to get by. Wal-Mart is in small town America. We do not have Jo-Ann fabrics or Michaels here. We need Wal-Mart to have a nice fabric and crafts department, but what does the corporate mind do? Well of course they decide to cut it out when knitting, quilting, sewing, etc., has gained a big following again in our younger population as well as our seniors who may not be able to get into the city. What is their thinking?
kateeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
JWebb
Seasoned Member

I called the Wal-Mart number a few weeks ago and voiced my opinion. I spoke with a manager in that department at our Wal-Mart and she thought all the fabrics would be gone for good after they remodel in June.

After that encounter I attended a meeting where a lady said she had not just called the 800 # but had actually spoken to a 'big wig' at the company headquarters and was told that our fabric department is here to stay.

Guess we'll just have to 'wait and see.' It sure wouldn't hurt for all those that care but still haven't called 1-800-walmart to do so.
JWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
lechow

Meme Sews

Waiting to see what happens may not help us. I think we should all be contacting Wal-Mart. Yes, we have good quilting fabric available in Kingsland, but I do not quilt that much. And sewing supplies available there are limited. Yes, we can order on the Internet, and I have. But after over 55 years of sewing, I still like to touch and feel the fabric before I buy. And shipping costs are getting higher all the time. It is at least 50 miles to the nearest fabric stores. The ladies in Fredericksberg managed to keep a pretty big department several years ago when we lost most of ours.

Wal-Mart can be contacted by e-mail and by telephone. And remember the sqeaky wheel gets heard. Lets be heard. I have written an e-mail, called and now I will mail a letter. Please join me. I don't want to be
lechow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
nosefornews
Super Moderator

I am neither a quilter or a sewer but I was in Michael's over in Bee Caves this morning and noticed they have a lot of stuff for needlework, is that the same thing? It's closer than Fred or Austin...their website is michaels.com
nosefornews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
Meme Sews

Smile

In my humble opinion, quilting and sewing are generally done in large part with a sewing machine and require an assortment of supplies from machine needles, patterns, zippers, buttons, thread, cutting tools to fabric.

Needlework is generally done by hand and also requires supplies such as needles and threads. Fabric requirements are generally project specific such as crossstitch fabric. I think knitting and crochet are in this catergory. When I was spending days sitting by the bedside of parents and in-laws I always had a needle work project - usually knitting or crochet.

Some years back Michael's also carried fabrics and sewing supplies. Hobby Lobby still does along with a lot of yarn. The closest Hobby Lobby stores are SOUTH: South Lamar at Ben White Blvd. and NORTH: 183-A at 1431. It think I recently saw Needlework in the Craft Section of Wal-Mart in Marble Falls.

It seems to me that Wal-Mart is trying to carry only merchandise that is prepackaged thus not requiring a salesperson in the department -- simply stocking employees as in other departments. I know their zipper supply is very limited as with packaged trims such as hem tape, rick-rack, premade bias binding, etc.

I agree, we need to comunicate with our local Wal-Mart.
Meme Sews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:31 AM   #7
JWebb
Seasoned Member

What we need is a good fabric store - not just one that stocks cotton for quilters. Jo-Ann's and Hobby Lobby stock mostly craft items. I would really like to know if a good fabric store even exists anymore. I would gladly drive 50 miles for a store that stocks a variety of good, quality fabrics: wools, cottons, silks, man made fibers, etc. along with patterns and notions.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
mdarling
Seasoned Member

Hobby Lobby and Jo-Ann's are about as close as you're going to get to a fabric store that is even reasonably close. Of course, there are a numble of quilt stores in Austin, Georgetown, Fredericksburg, and Kerrville. Many of us in Marble Falls went through the "contact the store and/or corporate" the last time they down-sized the fabric/craft section at Wal-Mart. The whole attitude was one of "we really don't care--we're going to increase the size of the electronics department". However, it is worth trying again to convince these people that there are enough of us around who want to keep the fabric/craft section of our Wal-Mart.
I've tried convincing Hobby Lobby to open a store here, but they request a customer base of 50,000 people. I haven't been successful at convinving them there are that many in the area-even by giving them population figures.
Rumor has it that in the next couple of months a quilt store will be opening in Marble Falls. That's about all the info that is circulating right now.
mdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:58 AM   #9
Meme Sews

I received the following e-mail today from Wal-Mart about the fabrc department in Marble Falls --

"Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the fabric department in your local store. As with any merchandise decision that we make, we have based our decision to reduce the stitching and fabric departments on customer demand, which does not appear to be as high today for a full stitching and fabric offering in some markets as it may have been at Walmart in the past.

"In keeping with our emphasis on being a store of the community, Walmart is converting the fabrics and crafts department in some stores to a newly expanded assortment of merchandise that focuses on life's celebrations. We are thrilled to offer our customers this exciting new crafts and celebrations center that makes available craft and party planning needs along with information on current trends and new ideas in the area of life's celebrations, such as holidays, weddings and birthdays.

"In those stores where the new crafts and celebrations center is placed, merchandise commonly referred to as 'notions' will be included in the product offerings - such as sewing machines, yarn, needles, thread, etc. As a part of this conversion, most of our new and remodeled stores that opened earlier this year, as well as a small number of existing stores, will feature the new crafts and celebrations center in place of bolt fabrics. Walmart will continue to carry cut fabric in most of our stores. Due to the continued evaluation of our stores, we are unable to share a list of existing stores scheduled to receive the new crafts and celebrations center at this time.

Sounds to me like the more we buy the better the department will be.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
JWebb
Seasoned Member

MDarling,
The quilt store that opened a while back on 7th in the pretty yellow house just west of Main Street only lasted about 2 months. It was a nice store but evidently didn't have enough business or up front cash to sustain them over the long haul. Some of their fabric they had purchased at Wal-Mart and just increased the price. I hope that if a new store opens it will be more successful.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
mdarling
Seasoned Member

Unfortunately, the young woman that opened the 7th Street shop had no experience with quilting and was trying to put way too much into her shop--painting, arts and crafts, etc. My understanding is that the woman putting in the new store is a lot more business (and quilting) savvy. She has decided to locate in the small center behind American Bank. The projected opening is some time in April.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
nosefornews
Super Moderator

I hope that any new business takes some money out of their budget and advertise, advertise, advertise, in the papers, the local radio station, Foxmail or here.

I've talked with too many business owners who tell me that they hear this from their customers 'oh, I had forgotten you were here' and then the owners wonder why their business has fallen off. You've got to keep your store or product in the eye and mind of the consumer. Word of mouth is good, but it doesn't replace actually having your name seen by the public on a regular basis......

and with that I shall step down from my soap box and return to my nap...
Old 02-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #13
JWebb
Seasoned Member

mdarling and nosefornews,

You are both absolutely right. If a new business does not allot a substantial portion of their start up budget to marketing they are doomed before they even open their doors.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #14
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
I still need someone in the know to knit me a stocking cap, toque, beanie, or whatever you want to call it. I had a really warm one that a pack rat found in a deer blind, and it's not what it used to be.
KINGCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #15
Meme Sews

JWebb and nosefornews,
I do agree. The new shop in the house on 7th was gone before I knew it was there.

I have learned that a small business needs to get the customers coming in the door and then expand to the interests of its customers. If there is no interest in a particular product, why carry it? Start with what you know best and then build from there. And above all, get names, addresses and e-mail addresses of all customers so that you can tell them if/when you start stocking the items they were looking for.

And now I will step down from my lecture podium................I hear a sewing machine calling.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
nosefornews
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
I still need someone in the know to knit me a stocking cap, toque, beanie, or whatever you want to call it. I had a really warm one that a pack rat found in a deer blind, and it's not what it used to be.
Ok I'll bite...why?????
Old 02-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #17
mdarling
Seasoned Member

KINGCHIP--my mother makes men's berets for sale. Let me know if you're interested and I can find out the price and take a look at what she has in stock.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #18
gardener
Seasoned Member

DOING THE HAPPY DANCE!!!! Walmart has been overwhelmed with complaints, over 4000 from our area and is putting our fabric section back, there are bolts in the back room this morning!!!!!!
gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #19
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
I like to wear a stocking cap when it's cold. I don't want to look like a rapper with what I see for sale now, and quite frankly, if you can wear it in summer, how warm can it really be. I bought one many years ago from a hand made only place in SA. I took it off in a deer blind and forgot it in the dark. It took 2 years to find it by a single thread hanging out from under the blind. A packrat had decided that he needed it more than me. I reclaimed and washed it, but it has a kind of hole in it. Only a fraction of it's former self.

I want to see if someone can reproduce it. Nothing fancy. One color, loose stitch and large. Man was it warm.

Thanks Mdarling, but I'm not a beret kind of guy. Would she be interested in making a really long one.

Last edited by KINGCHIP; 10-12-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:45 AM   #20
tonigking
Seasoned Member

Chip , I bought great looking caps for my hunters at Academy . They are tight knit and very warm, nice colors, no deco. I believe they are called "watch caps" in the Navy.
tonigking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #21
mdarling
Seasoned Member

Kingchip--Can I pick up your cap some time and show it to my Mother? If you can provide the yarn (and maybe a little DQ incentive), she might be willing to make a new one. Can't make commitments for her, but she can take a look at your old cap. Let me know.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #22
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Sure. I'll dig it out and leave it at the store next week. I'm in S. Texas again until probably monday. I'll let you know. If this doesn't fly, I may head to Academy.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #23
mdarling
Seasoned Member

Kingchip--look forward to hearing from you.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #24
Alma
Seasoned Member

Kinchip...you can also take it to Nan's Needleworks in HSB....the Lakeside Building #205, 100 Bunny run Lane. Their number is 830-598-4560. They have someone there who offers lessons who may be able to reproduce it for you or connect you with someone who knits or crochets who can reproduce this for you. They are open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday from 10 to 5 and Saturday from 10 to 4. Good luck!
Alma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:12 AM   #25
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alma View Post
Kinchip...you can also take it to Nan's Needleworks in HSB....the Lakeside Building #205, 100 Bunny run Lane. Their number is 830-598-4560. They have someone there who offers lessons who may be able to reproduce it for you or connect you with someone who knits or crochets who can reproduce this for you. They are open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday from 10 to 5 and Saturday from 10 to 4. Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestion but........are you sure that my going to a sewing/knitting shop doesn't break any manlaws??? J/K

Tags
fabric , sewing , wal-mart