The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Hobbies


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
lmam88
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Highland Lakes
Posts: 819
Let's Go Fishing!

Hubby and our sons are getting ready to take their first fishing trip of the season this Sunday. I guess seeing all those big ones in the paper started the fever!
Went to Walmart hunting a Life jacket and was very disappointed at their selection. Is there another place in town?
Anyone have any good secret spots they want to share??? Any special bait they are biting on?
lmam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
nosefornews
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Deep in the Heart Of Texas
Posts: 970
There's a big sporting goods store over in Bee Caves (I can't remember the name - next to the Barnes and Nobles) that should have a really good selection.....
nosefornews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
lmam88
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Highland Lakes
Posts: 819
Thanks Nose, I will check it out. Sad that all our local Sporting Goods Stores have disappeared!
lmam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: State of Euphoria
Posts: 1,432
Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
A boat shop will have some.the sporting goods in Bee Cave is Dicks, I believe. then there is always Cabela's.
KINGCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
lmam88
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Highland Lakes
Posts: 819
Thanks Chip, I will head over there soon. Bought one at Walmart but it is not one that will last long and does not serve a dual purpose (for boat use only).
I bought him one last year and was horrified to find out it was not suited for swimming. The wetter it became the more he sank !
lmam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: State of Euphoria
Posts: 1,432
Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
I'm sure you know this, but be sure to have a proper jacket for everyone in the boat, and a throwable at all times. Save yourself a ticket.
KINGCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
lmam88
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Highland Lakes
Posts: 819
Yes we have one for everyone in the boat. I wind up buying our youngest a new one every year though because he keeps out growing them. He is at the in between stage right now though too big for a childs too small for an adult. I did come across an adult small however and it seems to fit well.
I did not know about the throwable livesaver though. Does that go for small Bass Boats as well?
lmam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: State of Euphoria
Posts: 1,432
Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmam88 View Post
Yes we have one for everyone in the boat. I wind up buying our youngest a new one every year though because he keeps out growing them. He is at the in between stage right now though too big for a childs too small for an adult. I did come across an adult small however and it seems to fit well.
I did not know about the throwable livesaver though. Does that go for small Bass Boats as well?
Yes, it applies to any boat in excess of 15' I believe, but anything motorized. You can get a ring, but a square floating pad with the straps on both sides is the ticket.

Another little bit of info is a signaling device. Boats come with a horn, but I swear by a whistle. I was out in the bay one day duck hunting and the game warden pulls up. When asked to, we hit the horn and nothing happened. Readying to write us a ticket, I reached into my bag and produced a dog whistle. It got us out of the fix. I've always kept a whistle in the boat since that time.
KINGCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #9
lmam88
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Highland Lakes
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
Yes, it applies to any boat in excess of 15' I believe, but anything motorized. You can get a ring, but a square floating pad with the straps on both sides is the ticket.

Another little bit of info is a signaling device. Boats come with a horn, but I swear by a whistle. I was out in the bay one day duck hunting and the game warden pulls up. When asked to, we hit the horn and nothing happened. Readying to write us a ticket, I reached into my bag and produced a dog whistle. It got us out of the fix. I've always kept a whistle in the boat since that time.
I think I saw what you are talking about (square floating pad)at Walmart and will go back out to pick one up.

We keep an air horn under one of the seats. Hubby also picked up a new fire extinguisher as well as the other one was pretty old.

Now if hubby can get the trailer lights working we will be all set! Keeping an eye on the sky though!

Thanks!
lmam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
Nomos
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosefornews View Post
There's a big sporting goods store over in Bee Caves (I can't remember the name - next to the Barnes and Nobles) that should have a really good selection.....
That would be Dick's. Another good choice in Austin is Academy.
Also in the Bee Caves area just for a Personal Flotation Device (PFD) on 620 just past Rosie's Tacos go down a LONG way, but not past Mansfield Dam, to MUD Outdoor Center. They are a kayak shop and have quiet a few good PFD including some especially good for fisherpersons with pockets and loops and such.
Nomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #11
Nomos
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
Yes, it applies to any boat in excess of 15' I believe, but anything motorized. You can get a ring, but a square floating pad with the straps on both sides is the ticket.

Another little bit of info is a signaling device. Boats come with a horn, but I swear by a whistle. I was out in the bay one day duck hunting and the game warden pulls up. When asked to, we hit the horn and nothing happened. Readying to write us a ticket, I reached into my bag and produced a dog whistle. It got us out of the fix. I've always kept a whistle in the boat since that time.
A whistle ON the PFD is good. If you end up in the water, which is the only time you really need the PFD, you want people to be able to find you. Especially if it is after dark. I think everyone in the boat should have a PFD with a whistle.
Nomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:17 AM   #12
lmam88
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Highland Lakes
Posts: 819
That's a very good point Nomos! Thanks for the info. I will get over there and check those places out!
lmam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:01 AM   #13
lmam88
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Highland Lakes
Posts: 819
Weather looks GREAT for fishing this weekend! Can't wait!!!
lmam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:46 AM   #14
lmam88
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Highland Lakes
Posts: 819
Lake LBJ Map?

Hubby is wanting a map of Lake LBJ that shows the coves etc. Does anyone know where I can get one?
Thanks!
lmam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #15
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: State of Euphoria
Posts: 1,432
Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
Beware of the shallow water bouys. Good way to loose a lower unit, and it's a long walk home.
KINGCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #16
lmam88
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Highland Lakes
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
Beware of the shallow water bouys. Good way to loose a lower unit, and it's a long walk home.
I hear that! I am actually looking for a cove that was one of my moms favorites and he suggested it would be easier if we had a map. There were no houses in it at all (at that time) but she use to love to go and watch the deer come down for water...thinking that is where I will finally let her ashes free. Just been so long since I have been there...
lmam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #17
Mike
Seasoned Member
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmam88 View Post
I hear that! I am actually looking for a cove that was one of my moms favorites and he suggested it would be easier if we had a map. There were no houses in it at all (at that time) but she use to love to go and watch the deer come down for water...thinking that is where I will finally let her ashes free. Just been so long since I have been there...
Here's a map I have found useful in the past. I don't think it is exactly what you are looking for, but it is useful to have.

http://www.texasoutside.com/texaslakes/lakelbj.html

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:02 AM   #18
lmam88
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Highland Lakes
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Here's a map I have found useful in the past. I don't think it is exactly what you are looking for, but it is useful to have.

http://www.texasoutside.com/texaslakes/lakelbj.html

Mike
Thanks, Mike!
lmam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #19
TexasGal
Texas Gal
 
TexasGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 18
Red face

Bay Marine over off 2147 in HSB has a really nice waterproof map of the lake that shows a lot of detail, hazards and water depths etc,. We keep one in our boat and look at it often.
TexasGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:42 AM.

Aardvarks are cool


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Jett Fuel Productions, LLC - All Rights Reserved