The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Dining & Shopping

Old 02-16-2015, 12:29 PM   #1
Belle
Seasoned Member

Talking Fun and Informative

This forum used to be a lot of fun, what happened ?
Has the new Peete's Country Kitchen opened yet ? If so how is it ? If not when, anyone know?
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:05 AM   #2
JWebb
Seasoned Member

Belle, we keep watching for it but haven't been by in a couple of days.
JWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:19 AM   #3
teasip

It stopped being fun when the politics topic was shut down. When one or two people got out of hand, webmaster chose to shut down the entire topic rather than simply ban the offending person. This is the only site I know of that handles such matters that way.
teasip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:31 PM   #4
Webmaster
Benevolent Admin

Send a message via AIM to Webmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by teasip View Post
It stopped being fun when the politics topic was shut down. When one or two people got out of hand, webmaster chose to shut down the entire topic rather than simply ban the offending person. This is the only site I know of that handles such matters that way.
It wasn't one or two people, it was several people.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:13 PM   #5
Reapp
Super Moderator

It wasn't taken down on a whim, there were multiple bans/suspensions before it came to that.
Reapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:37 AM   #6
teasip

I'll certainly take your word that it was several people. I was just answering the question as to why the forum is no longer fun and informative. I was a regular lurker and learned a lot about the city and heard different opinions. People like caretaker were always good to read even if I didn't agree exactly. That's disappeared.
teasip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:36 AM   #7
Belle
Seasoned Member

Surely there are other things that could be fun and informative... We used to have a really good critique of new and old restaurants and bars,winerys. etc. ; price lines etc.
For example I didn't know about the Holy Smokes BBQ until a couple of weeks ago. WOW ! Ribs to die for !! Yes I am sheltered. I also thought the price was very reasonable on my modest income.
I also didn't know about the Chic,Unique, Antique resale shop. Lots of local Venders trying to make a living ! This forum could really help our local folks but it just dried up ! Just because of Politics?
Old 02-22-2015, 09:15 AM   #8
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by teasip View Post
I'll certainly take your word that it was several people. I was just answering the question as to why the forum is no longer fun and informative. I was a regular lurker and learned a lot about the city and heard different opinions. People like caretaker were always good to read even if I didn't agree exactly. That's disappeared.
Why thank you teasip. Its nice to know folks at least read my comments.. Hmm I wonder if I should stir the pot again and finishing cooking the gumbo.Now what is missing from the recipe.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:23 AM   #9
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
Surely there are other things that could be fun and informative... We used to have a really good critique of new and old restaurants and bars,winerys. etc. ; price lines etc.
For example I didn't know about the Holy Smokes BBQ until a couple of weeks ago. WOW ! Ribs to die for !! Yes I am sheltered. I also thought the price was very reasonable on my modest income.
I also didn't know about the Chic,Unique, Antique resale shop. Lots of local Venders trying to make a living ! This forum could really help our local folks but it just dried up ! Just because of Politics?
How about this. here is some water to end the drought.
Did you know brothers bakery is gone?. Did you know the food trailer by the post office have fantastic food?. Did you know they finally have the Fence for the dog park?
And Holy smokes it has been here for a while.Awesome food.
PS. Give me time and I will bring up politics again.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:07 AM   #10
tarheel
Seasoned Member

The fence for the dog park is in? Be still my beating heart! (just kidding)

Glad you're still around, Caretaker.

You talk about important topics. Nothing else approaches the importance of politics. It is nothing less than the running of your life by government. Anyone, who says they don't like politics, is saying that they are willing to let someone else run their life. That ain't me.
tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #11
Belle
Seasoned Member

Okay Guys, this forum has lain dormant for months ! I'm trying to bring it back. I love the humor, love politics more, but don't get us shut down before we even get rolling again !
Where is Peaches ? She was a moderate voice in the political world always did her research. You still around Peaches?
Back to Dining and Shopping, Wow I didn't know Brothers closed, sorry about that. !
We have a miserable week coming up lets make the ole forum hummmm! with fun and informative...where you be Chip, JSKR, etc...
Roll call... sign in ole timers lets see who all is still out there.

Last edited by Belle; 02-22-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:49 AM   #12
Brian

Brothers closed, but taken over by one of the gals that was a baker there. Looks like she has some of the same great stuff in the case. Its called Sooo Yummy Cafe now. She made me a blueberry cheesecake once that was awesome!
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:03 PM   #13
Webmaster
Benevolent Admin

Send a message via AIM to Webmaster
This is the kind of good interaction we need.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:39 AM   #14
tonigking
Seasoned Member

I am an "ole timer" and guilty as charged as a participant in the demise of the political forum.
I guess , like many others, I believe , respect and would die for, The Constitution of the United States of America.
That said, This is the Jett's Website and they choose to not allow political discussion and as much as it pains me and as much as I miss it, I miss the Forum more so I am going to respect it and that's the name of that tune and I hope all the rest of you "fun and informative" 'ole timers' will make yourselves known again and we can find something worthwhile to talk about.
tonigking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:00 AM   #15
Belle
Seasoned Member

So I'll try again, any news on Peete's Country Kitchen?
Like I told you, I don't get out much and when I do I like to get the biggest bang for my buck or my company's buck. I used to get that from this forum. When I had out of town guests I knew just where to take them. I want that back. Come on folks help me out. Let me know what's hot and what's not so hot ! LOL

I was really disappointed with the "Locals Love Us Awards" in the paper yesterday. Looks rather more like whomever bought the biggest ad. I'm not sure just how that all works.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:06 AM   #16
ladybutton
Seasoned Member

I was shocked when I realized Brothers was gone and the bakery had a new name. Anybody know the back story?
ladybutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:25 AM   #17
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post

I was really disappointed with the "Locals Love Us Awards" in the paper yesterday. Looks rather more like whomever bought the biggest ad. I'm not sure just how that all works.

Actually what happens is the Picayune contacts you that you won. Then they hand you a card with ad rates on it that you can thank the people for voting for you, voting was done online I believe. You don't have to place an ad, your name will still appear whether you bought ad space or not. Hope that helps btw The Highlanders works the same way.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:04 AM   #18
pawpawbob

Holy Smokes BBQ?

So where is this BBQ place. I've never heard of it.
pawpawbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:46 AM   #19
tonigking
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawbob View Post
So where is this BBQ place. I've never heard of it.
Pawpaw, If we tell you we'll have to ...lol
I find it is easiest to go 281 to Walmart and turn right at the light at the gas station. Then right again. It's on that back street, I think its Commerce St.(thks PPB)
He has a $6.95 lunch special everyday but I'm tellin ya! I have never eaten better ribs any where, any time and he sells them individually, they're big. It's all good and reasonable.
I am sure someone can give you more specific directions but you can see the place from 281 if you are looking.

By the way they have a fun facebook page with the daily menu...

Last edited by tonigking; 03-01-2015 at 07:28 AM.
tonigking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #20
pawpawbob

tonigking, I have seen that place, but didn't know the name of it. It's on Commerce St.
I will give it a try!
pawpawbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #21
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel View Post
The fence for the dog park is in? Be still my beating heart! (just kidding)

Glad you're still around, Caretaker.

You talk about important topics. Nothing else approaches the importance of politics. It is nothing less than the running of your life by government. Anyone, who says they don't like politics, is saying that they are willing to let someone else run their life. That ain't me.
Thanks Tarheel. Its nice to still be anywhere even here.. Are you still watching the political scene locally?
Old 02-28-2015, 05:18 PM   #22
tarheel
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretaker View Post
Thanks Tarheel. Its nice to still be anywhere even here.. Are you still watching the political scene locally?
Amen. Rising is good, shining is a bonus.

I have been following local things, but not closely. State and national, I have been. I guess I can't elaborate, this is the dining and shopping forum.
tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:21 AM   #23
Belle
Seasoned Member

Heeeeeellllllooooooo.........3071 Viewers. Talk to me, tell me something fun and informative about dining and or shopping. pleeeeeeezzzzzeeeee
Old 03-05-2015, 09:36 AM   #24
ladybutton
Seasoned Member

Um. The sun is shining! Eat at Houston's Depot! Shop at Chique, etc! Lee's food bus has terrific hot soup! How's that?
ladybutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:49 AM   #25
Belle
Seasoned Member

Outstanding Ladybutton ! Glad to see another oletimer popup ! What has happened? We used to post about all kinds of interesting stuff. I know everyone didn't go away. I even miss all the old grumpy ones like Sabrered,etc., hope he is still around. Come on back folks you're all missed!