The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > The Lounge > Official Polls

View Poll Results: Would you support the Federal Government giving each baby born in the U.S. $500?
Yes 2 5.88%
No 31 91.18%
Undecided 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
Webmaster
Benevolent Admin

Send a message via AIM to Webmaster
Should the Government Give Babies $500 for Being Born?

It has been proposed that the Federal government give each baby born in the U.S. a $500 account to be used later for education or other expenses. Do you support such a program?
Old 10-09-2009, 04:45 AM   #2
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
Tough call. If the money was there, and would stay in the correct place, and were worth something is 15-20 years, it's probably a good thing. But the country is broke. the current admin is spending like there's no tomorrow, and the account would be borrowed from, and end up another mess. The only program I see the feds doing well is the military, and medicare plan D, and this healthcare thing will reduce the plan D. Other than that, what do the Feds do well?
KINGCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
Wrangler

I don't think it is such a good idea primarily for the reason Kingchip first stated---(1) the country's already broke, (2)the politicos (if retained in some governemnt program account) will spend it like they did all the Social Security taxes and (3) a significant number of parents (should they retain the money) will also spend it instead of invest it so the child really won't benefit.

Also, should it be enacted, I think it should be limited to children born of US Citizen parents at time of birth. NOT children born in US whose parents are not US citizens (just to clarify should someone try to read that differently).

Part of the ecological problem the world is facing is, IMHO, due to over-population so I don't think we should be encouraging more population. If a parent cannot afford to raise their own children, they should not have more children! The more poverty stricken a country, the more kids per family. Cause or effect? I guess love is free but the by-product of that loving isn't a "no cost" result.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
tarheel
Seasoned Member

Not a tough call for me. The answer is "no" to ideas about forced taking of one person's money by government to give it to someone else. The federal government has few legitimate purposes other than the military. Any kind of redistribution of wealth is not one of them.
tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
Caretaker

5 hundred dollars for each child born. HMMM lets just think about. The US dollar is becoming toilet paper or so it seems since its being printed out in almost a roll fashion. So Yea I guess it would be Ok because by the time the kid gets grown you can sure bet they,ll be able to use it wipe their behinds with it.
I bet Lord DaddyO will let all the illegals get some too.
I agree with tarheel. Stop taking one persons money to pay for someones else.

. The FEDs to to Go.
Another Reason to support TEXAS secession.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
Nomos
Seasoned Member

Get the government out of my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
Federal government give each baby born in the U.S. a $500 account to be used later for education or other expenses.
NO
1. It's "tokenism" i.e. not enough to make a real difference, anyway.
2. It's the job of the parents, not the government, to make those provisions.
3. The administrative cost would be huge.
4. The fraud (parents using or child using for "inappropriate" purposes) would be rampant.
5. What the "H" would "other expenses" include and who decides?
6. Then there are the strings ... you KNOW there would be strings. With all federal money comes regulation.
7. It's an incentive to have more children, especially among those least able to afford to properly raise children.

Get the government out of my life! Just defend the country and leave everything else to the people and the states.
Nomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #7
JWebb
Seasoned Member

Excellent points.
JWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
tonigking
Seasoned Member

Angry

Absolutely not ! For all the reasons above.

Just one more attempt to control future generations !
tonigking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
countryboy
Seasoned Member

500 dollars for each kid. ??? x 5 =???.. Guess its time for more wives and a bigger house.Keep them freebies comin.
countryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #10
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
My, My we're a rowdy group. I like it!!!
KINGCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #11
countryboy
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
It has been proposed that the Federal government give each baby born in the U.S. a $500 account to be used later for education or other expenses. Do you support such a program?
to be used for education or OTHER expenses. Problem word here is other. How many of those parents will just blow it on anything Other then education for thier children?
Old 10-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #12
BubbasGeek

For those you would like to read about the program first before commenting, here is a link: http://www.newamerica.net/programs/a..._kids_accounts
BubbasGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:18 PM   #13
JSKR
Seasoned Member

Wow! Five hundred whole dollars? Gee, that's, great

Do you know how little banks pay on savings accounts for interest? Right now, you would make .05 for that five hundred bucks. Five hundred bucks doesn't do anything any more.
If I added correctly, you would earn a WHOPPING, are you sure you are ready for this... $10.80 if you put that $500 in a savings account today and left it there for 18 years. Please DO correct me if my math is wrong.
Yep, that'll get a lot of college education taken care of, especially since that amount doesn't do squat now and in 18 years when the kid needs to go to college, he won't be able to even buy a book for $500.

Plus, you already have a population that is having way too many kids that they cannot afford that my tax dollars are supporting, and this will only entice them to have a bunch more.

Then there is the illegal alien loophole. We can't stop them from coming here to have babies now, what's going to happen if we give out free money?

There are European countries that pay for babies born but that is due to the low amount of births there. Umm, I don't think we are having a birth rate reduction around here any time soon.
Interesting article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...010301490.html

BubbasGeek, I tried to use that link to be more informed before rattling on about the subject, but it didn't seem to work.

Last edited by JSKR; 10-09-2009 at 06:37 PM.
JSKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #14
JSKR
Seasoned Member

Wrangler, in response to your concern about only babies being born from parents who are US Citizens getting the money, certainly the govt. will find a way to "fix" that. They will just let all the illegal aliens become citizens so it will all be "fair"...

Don't you know that if you don't include all the illegal aliens children in this program, you will be considered a racist and uncaring of the human race?

We all know that if this program does surface and become a real issue, that all the LULAC's, Jesse Jacksons, and other similar groups will be suing for equality for illegals children and the like. It will be yet another big mess, with anyone who disagrees being called a racist.
JSKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:43 PM   #15
countryboy
Seasoned Member

bubbasgeek. I tried that link. Read the article.I was Not impressed. Its meant for lower income people to supposedly help them out. How many of those lower income folks have to many kids they cannot afford as it is?. Some of them will pump out more just to get that 500.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:56 PM   #16
mdarling
Seasoned Member

Man, you all need to read the second paragraph of that article in the link. The government will not only open an account for all babies, but low-income individuals will get additional funds each year (up to $500 in matching funds) if the account is added to during a given year. Looks like another program for which the middle income people will be paying through the nose. And, something I heard on tv a couple of nights ago from a judge and lawyer (needs some investigating)--illegals cannot be excluded from social benefits. Seems like California and Texas tried to exclude illegals from some benefit or other and the courts told them "no can do". According to this judge and lawyer, Obama should know better. We could be covering illegals under any health care bill, no matter what Obama says. Anyone have any hints on how or where to find out if this little gem is true or not?
mdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #17
curious
Seasoned Member

That is rediculous. This is just another ploy for Obama/Pelosi to create bigger government, by creating another "czar" and admin people to run this facade. It WILL impress those that are too stupid to realize what is really going on. It will only foster the "entitlement" mentality of the dems. Don't blame me, I voted for the AMERICAN!
curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #18
Wolfe
Seasoned Member

We can't exclude illegals from anything. If they show up at an emergency room, you must treat them. Period. There is no way out, period. We will forever be paying for illegals no matter what.
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #19
Peaches
Seasoned Member

We already have a government-funded incentive for poor people to have children they can't afford.
It's called "the earned income credit."
Peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #20
mdarling
Seasoned Member

Gee, I thought it was called "welfare"!
mdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:41 AM   #21
kb5ykj
Seasoned Member

Very simply the answer is NO !
kb5ykj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #22
Peaches
Seasoned Member

Maybe they should take that $500 per child and apply it toward giving seniors a cost of living increase this year. Obviously we're either out of money for Social Security, or this administration is ready to let senior citizens starve to death.

Once they pass this piece of legislation, perhaps they can start penalizing people for not contributing $500 or more annually to it.

Last edited by Peaches; 10-15-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:22 AM   #23
countryboy
Seasoned Member

See folks if everyone would Just quit sending their money to Fedzilla, then Fedzilla would,nt be able to keep giving billions in handouts to every joe Blow wanting the five finger discount and We as a people would not have to keep holding our hands out for what was already ours.