The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > The Lounge > Official Polls

View Poll Results: Should Marble Falls bars have extended hours on the weekend?
Yes 19 55.88%
No 11 32.35%
I don't care 4 11.76%
There's bars in Marble Falls? 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #26
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrered View Post
Caretaker, If profiling is what it takes to make our roadways safe, then so be it. If you blow a .018 then you're under the influence, and 3 beers will get you that. TABC has been known to frequent establishments that serve liquor and then relay that information to awaiting law enforcement. I would do anything and everything to keep DWI's off the highways.

You would do anything and everything.Thats noble of you. But you did not say anything about those folks who go to bars and dont drink or maybe only have 1 beer..See Profiling can be a doubled edged sword.Gee Lets just stop all those who walk out of bars and get in their car because we assume they must be drunk.. I may be wrong but isnt profiling illegal?
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #27
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosefornews View Post
Quick question for the 'more bars on main street' supporters. Let's say, the ordinance is changed and bars can now stay open until 2 am, so we begin to get more bars opening, so we have Lorraines, we have the R Bar, (I think I heard that O'Neils is going to reopen anyway...) and then we get a neighbor hood bar, you know, no dancefloor, no live music, just a bar like 'Cheers' or something, then maybe a sports bar, then what's to stop someone from opening up a 'Gentleman's Club'? Maybe not a completely nude, but a place where very little if anything is left to the imagination.

Where and when and how do you draw the line at what type of clubs are opened? What do you really want your downtown known for?

And please hold the 'oh that's silly, that can't happen here comments' , because it can and if I can think of it someone else with resources can also.....

Nose. I dont think the questions are silly or that it could not happen. But Main street is not that big and the likely hood of having alot of bars on that one little speck of town would be a far stretch.

Now as far as a (Hood bar) like Cheers.. One like Cheers would be Great. After all Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name.

A Sports bar would be OK IMO.

Gentlemens Club. Most likely there is an ordinance against faciltys like that. Your more likely to see one of those pop up outside of town. And if MFs can hardly keep bars and Restuarants open because of money issues then Theirs No way gentlemens clubs could ever make it anyway. Thats where Big bucks go.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:22 AM   #28
Sabrered

Hacksaw; Actually I've never smoked or drank alcoholic beverages in my life. Neither were in my home as a youngster, and the State that I grew up in was dry. Never set foot in Pardners or any establishment that serves or served hard liquor in Marble Falls. I do have an addiction to Coca Cola, but that doesn't count.

Last edited by Sabrered; 09-27-2009 at 12:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Sabrered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:57 AM   #29
tonigking
Seasoned Member

I recently read where a man had been arrested 27 times for DUI.

Attempts to legislate morals, has never worked, just ask Elliot Ness.

There are laws in place making Bar Owners/Servers responsible for cutting people off if they "appear" to be under the influence. That is a condition and responsibility of being an owner/server.

We have a "3 strikes and your out" law. what's happened to that ? Drunks arrested and booked, bond out the next morning and head for the nearest bar, liqour store or their home stash...

There's only one way to reduce the DUI's. Hit everyone in the pocketbook hard , the owners/servers and, most definitely the drunk. I am not just talking about bars and private clubs but liquor stores and home parties as well.
It seems we expect the drunk to be rational and make good decisions about driving. That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

There are probably as many daytime drunks as nightime but unfortunately not as many officers on the lookout and visibility is better for both the drunk and the unsuspecting driver.
Bars are here to stay, drunks are here to stay, it matters not what time they close; what matters is the strict and uncompromising enforcement of the laws and sanctions that are already in place.

Last edited by tonigking; 09-27-2009 at 01:35 PM.
tonigking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #30
countryboy
Seasoned Member

This seems to be a very interesting topic and while I,m not really into bars in general or drinking for that matter. I thought I,d throw in my 02.

There use to be an old saying. There are more old drunks then there are old doctors. Why is that? Most likely its the shear mathematics at work..As long as there are spirits produced then the saying will still be viable.. Prohabition never worked.Just like the so called war on Drugs has not worked either.Hence the problem.What to do about it?There are alot of great theories and proposed solutions but which ones will work and which ones wont are the bottom line.

Now back to the question of extending the hours. IMO YES they should. MFs needs the tax revenue and seeing as thats what all citys want in order to stay vibrant then get this done.. Let these guys stay open later and see if they can still bring in those tax dollars.When you get right down to it its all about the money. I honestly do not believe it will make one bit of difference anyway because main street has been wiped out by those wanting to Transform MFs in to something else.. Do people in this town actually believe that there are enough folks with extra money to even afford to go out on the town? NOT going to happen.

Well continue on folks with this discussion.
countryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:57 PM   #31
Reapp
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretaker View Post
You would do anything and everything.Thats noble of you. But you did not say anything about those folks who go to bars and dont drink or maybe only have 1 beer..See Profiling can be a doubled edged sword.Gee Lets just stop all those who walk out of bars and get in their car because we assume they must be drunk.. I may be wrong but isnt profiling illegal?
Actually no, profiling is not illegal, racial profiling is illegal.

I personally don't have the desire to babysit the bars and nor do I expect the officers on my squad to do so. I will however watch for those staggering out the front door or to their cars to prevent them from driving off.

Now with that being said, we do aggressively enforce the DWI/DUI laws in the city. I think most of you would be shocked to know that the average blood alcohol content of all of our DWI arrests this year is 0.19 (over double the legal limit).

Last edited by Reapp; 09-27-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Reapp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #32
tonigking
Seasoned Member

Reapp, I think the officers do a stellar job of making arrests, it's what happens after they are booked. You know, the lawyers and oft times the judges, the plea deals, the hardship liscenses , all of the stuff that circumvents the laws and sanctions in place. Maybe the legislators need to go back to the drawing board.
tonigking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #33
Hacksaw
Seasoned Member

Not to change the subject, Ok since some of these people all worried about these DRUNKS on the road at 12 are 2 am wanting to catch a drunk or give someone a DWI. Then how about all the drunks coming off the GOLF courses around here. Since there is a golf course on every corner especially in Horseshoe Bay. At the golf course don't they have BEER caddy's serving Liquer all day there. I know for a fact that some of this people leaving these high and mighty places are OVER served. They should put a police officer in every parking lot of a Golf coures and just see how many Drunks you could catch and hand out DWI's. Now we know that's NOT going to happen because that is a different class of people.
No offense to you guys that play golf.

Last edited by Hacksaw; 09-27-2009 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Webmaster
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #34
Reapp
Super Moderator

Hacksaw - I don't disagree with you, we know there are DWI's during the day as well. We do find the ones we can, but it is a lot easier to blend into traffic during the day than it is at night. We also typically have a much heavier call volume during the day so the officers are often times reactive (responding to calls) as opposed to proactive (making traffic stops).

toni - Thanks for the kudos, but I'd bet you would be surprised at how much better the prosecution is around here regarding DWI's especially since we provide them with blood evidence on every DWI arrest.

I learned a long time ago to make the best case I can and then send it on, if someone else drops the ball at least my conscience is clear.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #35
Webmaster
Benevolent Admin

Send a message via AIM to Webmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reapp View Post
I learned a long time ago to make the best case I can and then send it on, if someone else drops the ball at least my conscience is clear.
That sounds familiar.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:46 PM   #36
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
There is another angle not touched on yet about this Main Street bar thing. To make this thing Main St. exclusive increases the worth of Main St. property, thus driving up the cost. This extreme cost is precisely why many businesses do NOT make it right now. To restrict it to one street will most certainly help this occurance repeat itself. There are places on 281 and 1431 both that could benefit from this ordinance and help keep the monopoly from being established in one place.

If you want these places to succeed, help them.
KINGCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #37
Reapp
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
That sounds familiar.
It should, I learned it from a great and powerful Jedi
Old 09-27-2009, 10:38 PM   #38
JakRussll
Seasoned Member

i am a 60 year-old non drinker. I believe our council should raise the late hours for Friday and Saturday nights to 2:00 am.

We need the jobs folks. We need the commerce. We need the tourism. I have no intention of ever being out that late ever again. But, we have gone BACKWARDS the past year. What would Gruene Hall be like if Gruene had a 1940's approach to bar hours? We continue to chase business away.

Wake up!
JakRussll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #39
kb5ykj
Seasoned Member

Here is my .02 worth. My understanding is that Burnet County is dry but surrounding counties are not. The Cities in Burnet County are allowed to make their own decisions. Marble Falls is loosing significant revenue from Taxes. Folks are going across the river to other cities or out of the County to consume till 2:00 Am. This forces more Tax burden on the citizens of Burnet County to foot the bills. Some food for thought.
kb5ykj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:05 PM   #40
JSKR
Seasoned Member

Hacksaw, perfect point about the golfers.

The biggest problem out here is the lack of transportation for those who have had too much to drink. However, many don't know it but it is my understanding that the bar that serves you must also provide you a ride home. Not sure if that's a law..

And man Nose, if mid 40's is old, we might as well just lay down in our graves right now! Where did you ever come up with that age group being old?!

Also, the younger drivers (20 somethings) today are much more responsible for the most part than the older ones when it comes to drinking and driving. They do have designated drivers, they have learned. Of course not all, but yes, most young partiers do have designated drivers. So, it's us REALLY REALLY OLD PEOPLE who need to follow the young's examples.

This may be an "older" community, but it's definitely changing. You have GOT to learn to roll with the times. If you only want old people out here, then doggonit, get some more bingo halls or something. You cannot keep a community "old".

Last edited by JSKR; 09-28-2009 at 04:10 PM.
JSKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #41
JSKR
Seasoned Member

Oh wait, they sell alcohol at bingo halls too don't they?
JSKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #42
nosefornews
Super Moderator

Ok maybe 'old' wasn't the best term, how about 'not as young'

I still think that people overestimate how much benefit the community as a whole will get if the bars are allowed to stay open longer.

This area became a top tourist destination when the bars had to sell a certain percentage of food, I didn't notice a dramatic surge in visitors when that requirement went away, instead what I noticed where several bars opening and then closing because the demographics of the area as a whole didn't change and they haven't changed.

I'd be willing to wager that very few (if any) people make their family vacation plans on whether or not they can stay up and drink until 2 in the morning. People come to enjoy the lakes, the hill country, the fishing, camping, and the festivals we have during the year and so far I haven't noticed any of them being hurt by the way our laws are written.

The owner of Lorraines knew the rules before he opened, he like others was counting on a sudden surge of people coming downtown to drink and party, he like the restaurants that opened guessed wrong. There's just not that many people in this community to support all those operations. If you're going to operate a live music venue, that's a risk you have to take.

If we truly want to increase the local sales tax revenue,and build up this economy let's quit looking for short term fixes and instead concentrate on trying to bring in some real businesses. Either in the Technology or Bio-Technology fields, something to diversify our economy instead of having it rely on tourism.

Even San Antonio learned that lesson, you can't have a successful economy built on minimum wage jobs, the young people leave this area in droves because they want more.

I've never advocated prohibition because it has never worked, I just don't see the wisdom in changing the rules for one person...

Is there a reason the citizens can't vote on this in a charter election?
nosefornews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:21 AM   #43
kb5ykj
Seasoned Member

What about the folks that bring their families to town for the Boat races? They serve Alcohol at that event. There are wine-tasting events almost every weekend. However this is done during the day not at night. The City and County are loosing revenue that is going to other Cities and Counties to pay for their health care and other programs and not depending on just their local taxpayers to support everything. The folks consuming in these Counties are still coming through our county and occasionally we still have to work accidents involving these folks. This is not say that we don’t have to work accidents with folks in our cities and Counties that have consumed in their private residences also. I know that the one place is mentioned but I am sure their are others that are not being singled out. Maybe this needs to be brought up for the entire county to be allowed to go wet.

Last edited by kb5ykj; 09-29-2009 at 07:24 AM.
kb5ykj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:13 AM   #44
Caretaker

Well judging by the poll on this subject. I,d say there are more in favor of extending the hours then not.. I also dont think it should be limited to main street though. The city is getting very big and you may have those who will want a club or bar on the far north or far south side of town. Why does it have to be only main?
Old 09-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #45
tarheel
Seasoned Member

I guess it is the Libertarian in me, but I think that things like this should only be regulated if there is a proven, and strong, public interest for doing so. Trying to extract more taxes from the people is not one of them. I wonder if there is really a demonstrated need for this or if it is just a bunch of speculation. I am no fan of prior constraint. Punish only the wrong doers wherever possible.
tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #46
countryboy
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretaker View Post
Well judging by the poll on this subject. I,d say there are more in favor of extending the hours then not.. I also dont think it should be limited to main street though. The city is getting very big and you may have those who will want a club or bar on the far north or far south side of town. Why does it have to be only main?

Well caretaker. I think you are right.It does look like the Ayes have it over the Nayes so far.You could even add the 3 I dont cares into the ayes column.. What do you think the Council will do? Or Will it even be back on the agenda. Will main street completely wither away from no action?
Old 10-01-2009, 09:13 AM   #47
Sabrered

You can spin it anyway you want, but the facts remain that Main Street is Highway 281.
Sabrered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #48
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrered View Post
You can spin it anyway you want, but the facts remain that Main Street is Highway 281.

Well they do have similaritys. Main has plenty of available space and 281 does also. But 281 is a major thouroughfare and Main is Main street.They #s show that there are enough folks who want to extend the hours as opposed to not.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #49
countryboy
Seasoned Member

Word at market days and the park sale was that people were waiting for the bars to extend their hours cause they need one celebration shot.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #50
tdf700

service industry

I do believe that longer hours will equal greater revenue for some establishments.

Having said this, some of our current establishments suffer from other problems that they could easily fix. One of the main problems that can be corrected is service.

As I enjoy live music, I liked Lorraine's as a venue very much, the main problem that I had with them is they always had horrible service. On my first visit to Lorraine's a couple of years or so ago, they had a very popular band from Austin, they even had to bring in additional seating, it was packed, and they had 1 waitress. My table of 5 each had 2 drinks all night, and this was simply from the lack of being waited on. The one waitress was polite and was working extremely hard, but was just unable to take care of the entire crowd properly.
I enjoyed the atmosphere of the place and I sent them an email the next day, telling them how much I enjoyed my first time there and I hoped they wouldn't mind a little advice about hiring some more wait staff. I have attended several shows there and this was an issue that they never corrected, people were not getting waited on. There is a fine line in the bar business between pushing drinks and just having good service, but if people don't get served then you are not making money and in turn people will not frequent the place on everyday occasions.

This is a plus for Zeke's, the few times that I have been there, they have had multiple bar tenders, and large wait staff.

The Main Street Grill has the same problem with service. I have been there for lunch, for dinner, and also to just have a beer, and I enjoy the location, they have cold beer and good food, but the service has been horrible. My first visit there was late one afternoon and I was the only person sitting at the bar and I was completely ignored for a long time. The lady who I believe to be one of the owners was standing at the cash register behind the bar. Several minutes went by and after finally serving me a beer she left and went into what I believe to be the office, and did not come out until her husband came in from outside. I ordered another beer and attempted to make conversation by asking how business was and as she served my beer she did not answer and left the bar to go speak with her husband. I finally just asked for my tab and left.

The second time I had lunch there with two other people and we had to ask for every single thing. We sat down and waited till one of my party got up and asked for someone to wait on us. We had to ask for our drinks to be refilled, we had to ask for silverware, we had to ask for ketchup and we had to ask for our check.

The last time I went was on an evening to have dinner and watch the band they had, again I had 3 in my party, 2 of us had dinner, and a few drinks. When it was time to go, I asked for my tab and was told to go to the cash register, when I got there they did not have my tab either nor did anyone else, they asked us what we had for dinner and then just made up some amount of drinks to charge us for.

So will longer hours equal greater revenue for this places, they might if they can serve the people that are waiting to be served, if not the people are still just going to go somewhere else where they can get better service.
tdf700 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
try orderin'