The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Home & Garden

Old 04-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Marian

Hail damage to trees

Our trees were stripped of their leaves by the hail. A lot of branches were broken off, in 4 to 5 inch lengths. My questions are: Will the trees leaf our again this year? Might the damage be a good pruning for the trees? These are old trees, prone to large limbs breaking off.
Marian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
After the last bout of hail a few years ago, all my trees came back except one. It screwed up the pecan cycle for a few years but they lived.

"Beware the Prophet seeking profit", Dennis Miller on Algore
KINGCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
Mike
Seasoned Member

Kingchip,
I'm out in Kingsland & we took this hailstorm pretty bad. I need my roof checked out & remember you went thru this a few years ago. Can you recommend a roofer that is not a fly by nighter? Do I get someone to look at it first or call my Homeowners Ins. first? If others have recommendations for roofers, please reply.

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
Tutumary

I highly recommend Starr Roofing. Have know them personally for several years & completely trust them. They are local & not "fly by nighters". The last big hail storm a few years ago caused a lot of damage to my roof, so I had Starr come out & replace it. Great job & great people to work with.

Last edited by Tutumary; 04-04-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: spelled wrong
Tutumary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Kingchip,
I'm out in Kingsland & we took this hailstorm pretty bad. I need my roof checked out & remember you went thru this a few years ago. Can you recommend a roofer that is not a fly by nighter? Do I get someone to look at it first or call my Homeowners Ins. first? If others have recommendations for roofers, please reply.

Mike
I'm in Kingsland also, but was spared here at home. The DQ didn't fare so well. Lost two A/C units and extensive damage to roof, and consequently, the ceiling.

I used Hardee Sivell last time and would use him again. 512-755-5832

I highly recommend staying local. I had a hail damaged roof in San Antonio and grabbed a "Storm Chaser" crew that solicited the neighborhood. They did a half way job, and cleaned out the garage of good stuff like a heirloom shotgun and tools. Every one of us that used them had similar stories.

Definitely get the claim reported and processing. This gets you in line for an adjuster. Also get your name in the hat with the contractor. Hardee, and probably other reputable contractors assessed mine and determined it was not as bad as others and did not leak so put me back in line. Next rain we had, he came by and double checked that we could wait. He took the jobs in order of priority. I admired that and worked with him.

Also make sure that they use 30# felt, (the correct way) instead of #15 felt. Also that they use tin in all valleys,(the correct way), and not just shingles. These are ways that roofers cut corners and at your expense. I watched neighbors get ripped off last time and reported it to them.

"Beware the Prophet seeking profit", Dennis Miller on Algore

Last edited by KINGCHIP; 04-04-2013 at 08:22 PM.
KINGCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote