The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Home & Garden

Old 07-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
Home Audio Design/Install

Does anybody in town do home audio? I need something to put speakers on back patio, and wireless speakers out on a deck. And whatever else I can be sold on.

"Beware the Prophet seeking profit", Dennis Miller on Algore
KINGCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
tncnoack

Try Imagine, they are really good.
tncnoack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:10 AM   #3
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
Thanks !!! I'll give them a shout.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
tarheel
Seasoned Member

If you have not already bought your speakers, then go to Home Theater Direct. http://www.htd.com

I bought my speakers there and installed them myself, at great savings, and they are great speakers. If you don't want to install, then buy the speakers there and hire a handyman to install. They have more than ample customer support at HTD to make sure you get the right stuff for your application.
tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Well, I'm going with a receiver and subwoofer I already have, but want speakers on back patio, which I can do, and then speakers on the boathouse deck. I'm thinking wireless, that I could do, to avoid getting wires out there.
I'll check out the link. I'd just as well do as much as I can myself.
Thanks

Old 10-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
ijohn

I used Elite Home Theater they did a great job with everything i needed!
512-799-9765
ijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #7
tarheel
Seasoned Member

Chip, how is your project going?
Old 10-19-2012, 04:45 AM   #8
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

It's not yet. The one quote I got was a lot more than expected, and did not cover the deck/boathouse. Been busy out of town as of late, and back burnered the project.

I'll probably end up doing the install myself to get the speakers to the deck, and then get someone to hook everything up. It's not like bolting an 8 track under the dash and running two 6X9's to the back any more.

Last edited by KINGCHIP; 10-19-2012 at 04:48 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijohn View Post
I used Elite Home Theater they did a great job with everything i needed!
512-799-9765
I went with these guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel View Post
Chip, how is your project going?
You don't really want to know.

Buyer Beware!!!!

Old 03-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #10
tarheel
Seasoned Member

Oh no!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

OK, so I went with Elite because they bid exactly what I wanted. The other bids came in cheaper, but using another system than what I asked for, and not doing exactly what I wanted.
Guys come out and do an incredible job on installation. I mean world class. I was not ready to run the wiring to the dock, so we held off on that portion. I guess they had some programming problems, because they left on a thursday I believe and would not return until the next week. 5 days with no TV. I'm a news junkie.
They come back the following tuesday I think it was, and were able to program what I wanted into the system. However, at four feet from the TV, the remote does not work unless you stand on one hand , back to the TV, and aim the remote over your left shoulder at precisely a 47 degree angle with the wind blowing from the SSW.
Basically the remote would not work.
It took several days of walking to the other room near the system to change channels or change volume. Not a big deal, but I got a lot of exercise channel surfing, and the stereo isn't working.
They come back out and inform me that the remote receiver needs to be line of sight with the remote, but we can't do that now.
So I set the remote in one place on a cabinet and it works there, but it's not really remote except from my location. No biggie, I never had a remote on a TV growing up. Never had color for that matter until I left parents house in late 70's. I can still do this.
Fast forward to last week. Called them up to inform them that I have run conduit out to the dock and am ready to install speakers and controls out there. Also ready to move the remote receiver into the TV room for line of sight control. Emailed on monday may 6 and never got a response by email but a call on friday. They schedule to come out monday. He gets here and doesn't have everything he needs. Can't come back out until wednesday. On tuesday TV quits working. Called and emailed for assistance and nobody returns call.
Bottom line, this system is complicated. They promise immediate return calls for tech help but do not deliver. By installing this system with them, you are removing yourself from the ability to seek help from cable provider, satellite service, whatever, and depending on the install company to support you when things go south, which they do. You are at their mercy and will not get the help that they sell you.

Again, top of the line equipment and installation. Service is a buyer beware.

Good luck.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

OK, so I went with Elite because they bid exactly what I wanted. The other bids came in cheaper, but using another system than what I asked for, and not doing exactly what I wanted.
Guys come out and do an incredible job on installation. I mean world class. I was not ready to run the wiring to the dock, so we held off on that portion. I guess they had some programming problems, because they left on a thursday I believe and would not return until the next week. 5 days with no TV. I'm a news junkie.
They come back the following tuesday I think it was, and were able to program what I wanted into the system. However, at four feet from the TV, the remote does not work unless you stand on one hand , back to the TV, and aim the remote over your left shoulder at precisely a 47 degree angle with the wind blowing from the SSW.
Basically the remote would not work.
It took several days of walking to the other room near the system to change channels or change volume. Not a big deal, but I got a lot of exercise channel surfing, and the stereo isn't working.
They come back out and inform me that the remote receiver needs to be line of sight with the remote, but we can't do that now.
So I set the remote in one place on a cabinet and it works there, but it's not really remote except from my location. No biggie, I never had a remote on a TV growing up. Never had color for that matter until I left parents house in late 70's. I can still do this.
Fast forward to last week. Called them up to inform them that I have run conduit out to the dock and am ready to install speakers and controls out there. Also ready to move the remote receiver into the TV room for line of sight control. Emailed on monday may 6 and never got a response by email but a call on friday. They schedule to come out monday. He gets here and doesn't have everything he needs. Can't come back out until wednesday. On tuesday TV quits working. Called and emailed for assistance and nobody returns call.
Bottom line, this system is complicated. They promise immediate return calls for tech help but do not deliver. By installing this system with them, you are removing yourself from the ability to seek help from cable provider, satellite service, whatever, and depending on the install company to support you when things go south, which they do. You are at their mercy and will not get the help that they sell you.

Again, top of the line equipment and installation. Service is a buyer beware.

Good luck.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #13
tarheel
Seasoned Member

Really sorry to hear this. Sure hope it gets better.

Just for the record, I went the opposite route and installed mine myself. Took some time, but as a result, I understand my system. So, it is usually just a minor pushing of the right few buttons to fix glitches, like the TV stopping working. Hopefully, you'll get some help and that's all the problem will be, just pushing a few of the right buttons. Good luck.

P.S. My system has 4 remotes for the various equipment. I chose not to install an integrated remote because in friends' systems, whenever they had trouble, it was usually related to the integrated remote. It is much easier, in my opinion, to just deal with the separate remotes.

Last edited by tarheel; 05-15-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #14
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

They finally came out, finished the install, taught us how to operate, and left with us completely satisfied. The malfunction was a remote sensor that came loose on the face of the unit. No biggie had I been educated to look for that.
On another note, they had a personnel change that may have been for the better for me and other present and future customers. Again, the install looks great, and equipment is good stuff. They just need to work on the communication aspects of the business, but then again, being in the service industry, I know how difficult it is to hire and train this stuff.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:21 AM   #15
tarheel
Seasoned Member

Great news. Hope you have as much fun with yours as we have. Netflix has been terrific.