The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Home & Garden

Old 10-20-2009, 06:10 AM   #1
salspecht53

Roofing recommendation, please

We need to find a trustworthy and honest roofing contractor to replace an old roof.
If you have used someone in the Marble Falls area whom you would recommend, please provide their name and contact info.

Thanks!
salspecht53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
Sabrered

Unfortunately I have had the roof on my house replaced twice, once due to a lightning strike and the other due to hail damage. Each time, the preferred provider approved by USAA was Brinkman Roofing out of Austin. They are quality personafied; quick, proficient, and fair. In addition, a supervisor will follow up to insure that their quality standards are maintained.
Sabrered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
I had mine replaced due to the spring mother of all hail storms. Used Hardee Sivells and was very pleased with the quality, price, and results. He is local. His cell is 512-755-5832.

"Beware the Prophet seeking profit", Dennis Miller on Algore
KINGCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:52 AM   #4
Milly

G Home Improvements...can't be beat....
Milly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:14 AM   #5
falkenborough

Hardy Sivells did mine too. Great Roof from a Great Guy.
falkenborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
grumpy
Seasoned Member

Mottco Roofing replaced mine after the hailstorm in March. I thought the price was reasonable and I was and still am pleased with the work. One reason I went with him was that he refused to provide a padded bill for the insurance company. That made me think he was honest. They are in Burnet but I consider that local. Ph 512 756 4180.
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
If you had asked this back in March, I would have invited you over to take numbers off of the roofing trucks circling the neighborhood. Looked like sharks on chum.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
Tutumary

Tutumary

I would highly recommend Starr Roofing. They did my roof after the hail storm. I called them because I used to live next door to Jim Holmes, the owner, in Granite Shoals for several years. He is a very honest, dependable person. They did a great job on both my roof and my gutters. Jim can be reached at 830-352-5749. I think you would like this company, and they are local.
Tutumary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:57 AM   #9
salspecht53

Thanks

Thanks, everyone!

We held off until now, hoping for a hail storm to help defray costs. Might go with metal, not sure, as I know it will be $$$.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #10
clancys

I can tell you who not to use!! No one listed up to now, I had to call in star roofing to repair there blunders. They still have not completed service on waranty, after several months, they do not return phone calls. Check out your contractor.
clancys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #11
thisritshop

Roofing Contractors

Steve Odom put my roof on, painting and all hail damage that I had. Excellent job and very resonable (with references). He can be reached at 325-388-0707.
thisritshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #12
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

I upgraded from comp shingles to metal. Due to some sort of deal, oil prices and metal prices, I only experienced about a $400 increase in price. Hardee does both.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #13
JSKR
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancys View Post
I can tell you who not to use!! No one listed up to now, I had to call in star roofing to repair there blunders. They still have not completed service on waranty, after several months, they do not return phone calls. Check out your contractor.
I'm confused.
Did every roofer listed before your post let you down? That is what I am getting from what you posted. And you called Starr to fix what all those other companies messed up? Did Starr not do the job right and won't answer their phone? Please clarify.
JSKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:40 AM   #14
salspecht53

wow - thanks, KingChip! I was under the impression a metal roof would be at least 2x the cost of shingles. I was told last year that the price of shingles had sky-rocketed, so this makes sense.

Last edited by salspecht53; 10-23-2009 at 05:43 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-23-2009, 06:37 AM   #15
clancys

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to all the contractors that none of them were of my choice, by mentioning Starr I wish that they were my first choice. In my first memo I did not mention the name of the contractor that re-shingled my home. To the best of my knowlege all the contractors mentioned are ok.
clancys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:05 AM   #16
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

FYI !!! You are under NO obligation to disclose to roofing contractors, how much the insurance company allotted you for repairs or replacement. The bid should be free, and make sure that the estimate can't be altered without justification.

Times are hard here and roofers may have to try a little harder for the business. A year ago it was difficult to gat many contractors out. That's not the case. Remember that you are doing them a favor by giving them the job.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:49 AM   #17
Anayolisa

You can check for any roofing contractors close by through the internet but in doing that, you have to be totally sure that the site is not a scam site. I think it is much safer if you can contact any friends who have had the services of a good roofing company and get the roof done.
Anayolisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #18
Lazzaro

Why donít you try angies list ? It is a list of contractors for categories like roofing, carpet cleaning, plumbing, handymen, house cleaning, hvac, painting, , electricians, etc.
You can find reviews for each contractor. Reviews are from real users not from anonymous users.
Lazzaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:58 AM   #19
salspecht53

Why? 1) You have to pay to use it. 2) When I last viewed it several years ago, it was great if you live in a major metropolitan area, but there wasn't much available for more far-flung locations. The latter may have changed, but I take exception to a website where you have pay up-front before you can view if there is any information regarding local-to-my-area contractors. A limited-time free trial period would be nice, but they don't offer that.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #20
Tgutr
Seasoned Member

Cornerstone Roofing.
Tgutr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #21
johnhny

I think its better to go by personnel reference. I generally get reference from friends. So I can visit the places and confirm myself.
johnhny is offline   Reply With Quote