The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Home & Garden

Old 09-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
TexasStar

going rates for maids

Could you all please tell me what the going rate for maids in this area are? I live in Marble Falls, out of city limits. I find most want to charge per house/ instead of per hour, in which they make A LOT of money. More than most people with degrees!! Also noticed, they are much higher here than where I moved from
TexasStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
springflower
Seasoned Member

I used to work for a small maid service a few years ago. They charged by the square foot.
I was paid $12 to $15 per hr. So I imagine the price might be $20 per hr. by now.
The days of paying any one minimum wage are over.
If at all possible try to do the work yourself.
Take one room at a time.
One specific area at least.
Time yourself and think of how much you are saving by the hour.
The secret to keeping a clean home is to always stay on top of things.
Put things back where they belong as soon as you're done with it.
Never say,"I'll do it later".
Keep moving,think of it as part of staying healthy.
And loud rock music will really keep you moving.
I know you didn't ask for cleaning advice,so my apologies if you're offended.
All I know for sure is that I was paid A LOT of money to do things that the people could have done themselves usually.
"Just do it!"
;-)
springflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
TexasStar

Thanks Springflower. When I was younger the rock music did help lots! lol I was thinking $20 an hour might be appropriate. Our house stays pretty straight and picked up, but fortunately for us, since retiring and moving here, we can afford the service, and have other things of interest to do. I go a lot!!! exercising, volunteering, playing....................now that's what retirement years are for, not cleaning! Besides, it gives someone who needs it , a job!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
springflower
Seasoned Member

Yep,growing older rocks!
We aren't retired yet but we've been practicing the life.
So far we're really looking forward to it.
springflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
Marian

Set price up front

Over the years I have had house cleaning help in several cities. The best method I found to agree on a price was to type out a list of all the things I expected to be done. The applicant and I went through the the house going over the list as we went and then I asked them for a price to do those things. I usually accepted their quoted price but sometimes bargained a little if I thought they were too high. I found this worked well for long relationships because they knew what I expected and I did not expect more than I had put on the list.
Over the years I added things and always asked for their additional price to do those chores. Sometimes they did them for the same price, sometimes they added more but I usually kept the same help for years.
Marian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
TexasStar

Thanks Marion.

Keep rockin' Springflower! Never stop!
Old 09-07-2011, 07:10 AM   #7
ohcuriousone
Seasoned Member

I have had the same housekeeping service for about ten years now. They come every two weeks and I pay a flat rate of $60.00. They do "door to door", bathrooms, kitchen, dust, vacuum etc. Occassionally I will leave a note about something special and there is no extra charge. They also do rug cleaning and windows on an "as needed" basis for a negotiated fee. I have no idea how long they are there as I am at work. My house is about 2000 sq. ft. Hope this helps, also remember, you get what you pay for, service and trust. We have never had breakage, theft or misplaced items.
ohcuriousone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:47 AM   #8
TexasStar

I think that sounds like a fair price Ohcuriousone. And, get fair and honest too!
Old 08-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #9
ventura hay n pecans

We have a pretty difficult house to clean in Marble Falls, I pay $85 per cleaning. Most times it is empty. The house just sits there most of the time. Two baths, three bedrooms. sitting room and kitchen, plus a living room.
ventura hay n pecans is offline   Reply With Quote