The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Home & Garden

Old 10-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
Marian

Bees in trees

Why are my oak trees full of bees?? Are they just passing thru or do we have a problem?
Marian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Doublehorn
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marian View Post
Why are my oak trees full of bees?? Are they just passing thru or do we have a problem?
wow....I noticed the same thing yesterday. I stepped out in our front yard & I heard the sound of bees buzzing and I looked around until I saw they were up in our post oak tree. They were landing on the leaves & checking them out....

I never noticed that before yesterday.
Doublehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
Caretaker

Quote:
Look to see if you can spot any openings in the tree where they can enter.Like where a branch may have broken off in the past and left a knot opening.. The reason I suggest that is because I have or somewhat still have an oak tree that last month I spotted some honey bees near an opening like that. The hole was only about 3 or 4 inches wide but was covered with the bees.. I figured they must have a hive inside. Last week that part of the tree broke almost at the ground level and fell over.There had been a hole the entire length on the inside where they had made the hive.. It was roughly about 6 to 7 feet long. The other section of tree broke and fell over two days ago and It had more of the hive inside that part.. If I had any beehive boxes i would smoke them out and relocate them cause local honey sure would be nice to have.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
Doublehorn
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretaker View Post
Look to see if you can spot any openings in the tree where they can enter.Like where a branch may have broken off in the past and left a knot opening...
Yesterday when I heard & saw the bees up in our post oak tree - I checked for any openings & the bees weren't even in the area of the trunk or main branches.

These bees were on the LEAVES of the post oak tree. I just now checked again outside & no sign of the bees.... Only the bees know.....

I didnt think anything more of it until I noticed this post/topic....what a coincidence!
Old 10-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
Doublehorn
Seasoned Member

Quote:
........... Are they just passing thru or do we have a problem?

Marian - unless you got killer bees, I dont think you, I or we got a problem.....
Old 10-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
tncnoack

It could be that the tree is releasing sap, its happening to ours and last night it looked like it was sprinkling rain but it was coming from the tree. It got on the car and it was really sticky and I would be willing to bet that is what is drawing the bees.
tncnoack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
Marian

Since my post I have noticed bees in several other oak trees around the house. I think it is the sap. Just glad we still have bees in the area!
Marian is offline   Reply With Quote