The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Recreation & Sports

Old 06-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
GolfSeller

Lake LBJ on Memorial Day Weekend

Anyone else think the lake seemed a little more dangerous this year? We took the pontoon boat up to the Sunrise Beach area from the lake house in Granite Shoals and man was it busy...

I witnessed the single dumbest thing I have ever seen on that lake. We were cruising about half speed (15 - 20 MPH) and a boat completely cut us off coming within about 20 feet from the front of our boat. I was not surprised to see someone do that on a Holiday Weekend, but was completely shocked to see that he was PULLING A TUBE WITH AN 8 YEAR OLD GIRL ON IT. Had she fallen off, I'm not 100% sure I could have missed her. I know he saw me, and knew he was in the wrong because he waived apologetically as he drove past. It happened right outside the mouth of the branch that runs up along SRB where the "sandbar" is, one of the busiest spots on the lake. What in the world runs through some peoples minds I'll never be able to figure out. I may be keeping the boat at the dock on the 4th and Labor Day this year.

Also, I may be wrong here, but didn't there used to be a ban on PWC's over Holiday Weekends on LBJ?
GolfSeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
nosefornews
Super Moderator

Take the heat combine it with alcohol, a general lack of knowledge of rules of the lake, boating in general and more and more people who don't seem to have any trace of polite in their bodies and you have what you witnessed. You're probably wise to sit on the dock on the 4th and just watch, it's going to be crazy....
I know there's a ban on them on Lake Austin and Travis, and I did think there was one around here...but then I saw so many over the weekend that there can't be....
nosefornews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
Reapp
Super Moderator

Never been a ban that I am aware of on Lake MF, no idea on LBJ.
Reapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
nosefornews
Super Moderator

Reapp,
Do you know who would be responsible for implementing such a ban? LCRA or the various cities?
nosefornews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
Reapp
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosefornews View Post
Reapp,
Do you know who would be responsible for implementing such a ban? LCRA or the various cities?
I would imagine it would be a joint venture.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:10 AM   #6
joelinda

Band PWC but not boaters or tubers or skyers.. not fair..if going to band one then need to band all of them on those holidays.
joelinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:16 AM   #7
Reapp
Super Moderator

I assume you mean "ban." PWC's are often banned due to their reckless operation and such, they are much more of a safety hazard than any boat/tuber/skier.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:49 AM   #8
lmam88
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reapp View Post
Never been a ban that I am aware of on Lake MF, no idea on LBJ.
We live on LBJ and in past years there have been such bans implemented on LBJ during holiday weekends for obvious safety concerns. In fact I was very surprised that there was not one in place this past weekend especially with the water being so murky and debris being a problem.
lmam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:29 AM   #9
Reapp
Super Moderator

Ah, guess I really haven't paid attention. The majority of my stops when working boat patrol are PWC's, mostly for careless operation or over capacity (most folks don't know that a person towed behind a PWC counts as a passenger).
Old 06-03-2010, 06:41 AM   #10
ohcuriousone
Seasoned Member

No Bans Around Here

I have lived here over 30 years and don't ever remember a ban on PWC on holidays. The only ones that are normal are the ones on Lake Austin on most all Holidays during the boating months.
ohcuriousone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:56 AM   #11
NightScenes

I've lived on LBJ for about 20 years and there's never been a PWC ban on this lake and that's why the folks from Austin come up here on the holidays. Those of us who live here know that we shouldn't be on the lake on the holiday weekends and have our fun on the weekdays or other weekends. I'll just kick back on the holidays and watch the madness.
NightScenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:39 AM   #12
lmam88
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightScenes View Post
I've lived on LBJ for about 20 years and there's never been a PWC ban on this lake and that's why the folks from Austin come up here on the holidays. Those of us who live here know that we shouldn't be on the lake on the holiday weekends and have our fun on the weekdays or other weekends. I'll just kick back on the holidays and watch the madness.
I am not going to argue with you.In the 30+ years I have been living on the lake I know there has been at various times during the holidays. They obviously have done away with it though. This year is going to be especially crowded with the situation going on down at the coasts so everyone be safe out there!
lmam88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat , lbj , weekend