The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > The Lounge > Official Polls

View Poll Results: Did the "Healthcare Summit" change your mind on the healthcare debate?
Yes 0 0%
No 16 100.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Webmaster
Benevolent Admin

Send a message via AIM to Webmaster
Healthcare Summit

Did the televised "Healthcare Summit" change your position on Health Care Reform?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
whiteorchid
Seasoned Member

I didn't get to see it but from what I hear nothing was accomplished.

No, I am against the bill and in this horrible economy you just can't afford to raise taxes. Put a freeze on hospital costs, that's why it's all so costly. I am furious that they won't let you shop across state lines for insurance, and now they are talking about having the FDA control vitamins and supplements.

I have a Health Savings Account and Obamacare is supposed to do away with that. So I wish they'd just go away and stay out of our lives.

Why couldn't Owebama just sign an executive order saying insurance companies cannot deny coverage and pre-existing conditions. He signs everything else he wants to by executive order. That's all the people really want, isn't it?
whiteorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:50 AM   #3
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
Just another dog and pony show. This is going to be forced down our throats one way or another. It's a power grab, nothing more. It's pathetic that they speak of the poor uninsured, when it really isn't about that at all. If 70% of Americans don't want this plan, and 15% are uninsured, then the very people that they want to save, don't want saving.
KINGCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
Peaches
Seasoned Member

What I saw of the "summitt" ended up being nothing more than Obama blaming the Republicans for not passing a HC bill. He all but said the American people don't know what's best for them, and that political leaders shouldn't listen to their constituents. (!!!)

There just didn't seem to be much discussion about how to fix healthcare. Just more of the same old "blame game".

ICK!!!
Peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
tarheel
Seasoned Member

When Obama was entering the "summit," he was asked what was going to happen. He said he was going in there to listen. Did he? Well, not exactly. He talked for more than all the Republicans combined, and more than all other Democrats combined as well.

Democrats Collectively Talked For More Than Twice As Long As Republicans
DEMOCRATS (Including President Obama): 233 MINUTES OR NEARLY 4 HOURS
REPUBLICANS: 110 MINUTES OR 1 HOUR 50 MINUTES
PRESIDENT OBAMA ALONE: 119 MINUTES OR 1 HOUR AND 59 MINUTES
tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
ladybutton
Seasoned Member

Change my position on health care reform? Um. No.

Reinforce my current position? You betcha.

Am I fer it or agin it?

You have to ask?
ladybutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
2slick

Predictable

What sadly predictable responses. Thanks to whiteorchid for putting forth an idea, which accomplishes a lot more than the no-nothing, do-nothing, just-say-no reponses that usually show up here
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #8
ladybutton
Seasoned Member

Ok, 2slick, here's a question for you.

Why is the President of the United States of America UNABLE to wear a tie at press conferences?

It's embarassing.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
JakRussll
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybutton View Post
Ok, 2slick, here's a question for you.

Why is the President of the United States of America UNABLE to wear a tie at press conferences?

It's embarassing.
I think you just don't like the guy because your guy lost. Pretty safe assumption since this county is 70%+ Republican. Face it, this guy could never do anything right in the opinion of you and so many others here.

We get these softball surveys knowing darn well what the outcome is going to be on this board. Like most of you, I put this Presidents predecessor in office, not once, but twice with my vote. Yet as I read the criticism on Obama's speech making - with no tie, or teleprompter, or whatever the next Monday morning Obama gripe on this board is - I find it truly comical that anyone would dare critize his speaking skills after the linguistically challenged baffoon that we had in there the previous two terms. For eight years - to the english speaking literate world - we were a world wide joke. And you are embarrassed by the absence of a tie?
JakRussll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:59 AM   #10
JWebb
Seasoned Member

My same old mantra: Put the consumer back in the marketplace and competition will drive down health care costs. Too simple for our illustrious congressman of either party to understand.
JWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:22 AM   #11
Peaches
Seasoned Member

Is it the cost of healthcare that's the problem, or the cost/availability of healthcare insurance? The creation of insurance pools might solve a lot of problems.
Has anybody heard about the Medicare "buy-in" program? And, there is another program that will pay insurance premiums when a member of the household has a disability. I don't know much about the programs, but from what I've heard, these seem to be steps in the right direction for helping people who can't afford healthcare or insurance. I believe these programs were initiated in 2006 - during the "bafoon's" administration.
Peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
ladybutton
Seasoned Member

JakRussell, I'm embarrassed that the President, may God bless him, keep him safe and grant him wisdom and discernment, doesn't have enough respect for the high office to which he's been elected to dress professionally when speaking to the world from the White House, the upkeep, maintenance and utilities of which WE pay for with our taxes.

I may not have voted for him -- I see that as all the more reason to wish him to live up to the job, make good decisions, and make America proud. So far he's not doing so great -- not because of what other people want him to do, but because of the choices HE makes.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #13
BubbasGeek

No, did not change my opinion, I am still for it.
BubbasGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #14
tarheel
Seasoned Member

Bubba, what items specifically do you like best about the President's proposal?
Old 03-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #15
whiteorchid
Seasoned Member

I'll tell you what I like about it - which isn't a lot. I like the ban against pre-existing conditions and law against dropping people from their insurance. I like being able to cover my child until he's 27. I don't know why they can't pass those reforms with it costing $2 trillion.

Those that have paid money into medicare for years and years are getting ripped off while those making low income or no income are getting a free ride.

This boondoggle of a bill will end up costing way more than projected - it always does with Government programs. Always.

Paying for womens' abortions is outrageous. I suppose we'll end up paying for someone's Botox, too. Has anyone noticed all the subtle news articles lately about how we are over-testing and over-prescribing? They are already setting us up for saying NO to the tests we may want. When the Gov. is in charge - it's all about money and cost-cutting. They will be telling us what to eat and how to take care of ourselves (lest the Gov. have to fork out an extra dime). I look to see more news articles about how we don't need all the PSA tests and mammograms. You watch. They will tax sodas and pizza and anything they don't want us to eat.

When someone else is footing the bill, they have the upper hand.
whiteorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:53 AM   #16
tarheel
Seasoned Member

Good post, whiteorchid. There aren't two people on the planet who don't agree that our healthcare system is messed up, and we can fix it by thoroughly debating each change and applying those fixes that pass muster. However, in my opinion, the current bill (which nobody has even seen) may well be the worst mess that has ever been attempted in our entire history.

Of course, our learless feeder of the house wants us to pass it so we can see what's in it, like a box of Crackerjacks. Watch the video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV-05TLiiLU
Old 03-13-2010, 07:44 AM   #17
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
It's nothing more than a money and power grab. we will all loose in the end if this passes as is.
KINGCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #18
ladybutton
Seasoned Member

It isn't the health care system that needs reform. It's the health insurance industry.