The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > The Lounge > Official Polls

View Poll Results: Should we keep the politics section on the forum?
Yes, I love it! 48 56.47%
I guess so. 12 14.12%
I don't know. 3 3.53%
Probably not. 7 8.24%
No, I'm sick of reading all the garbage. 15 17.65%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
Editor
Mrs. Webmaster

Politics Yes or No

Should TheHighlandLakes.com continue to have a politics section in the forum?
Old 06-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Brian

Like anything you have a choice, you can read it if your into politics or read another thread that might interest you. Having it available is always interesting to see peoples views.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
tarheel
Seasoned Member

To the people who say they're sick of reading all the garbage, I'd like to ask the question: Who is forcing anyone to click on politics? Seems to me that it is very simple for folks to not read that area of the forum.
tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
Webmaster
Benevolent Admin

Send a message via AIM to Webmaster
Brian - the problem is having to moderate it and field all the complaints and downright hateful messages we get when we have to step in. Frankly, I'm sick of it and once again it has been demonstrated that people are incapable of posting and debating rationally.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
I enjoy the politics portion for the most part as a subscriber. I get heated at times, and now know why it was discontinued before. As a mod, it is a full time job, which I unfortunately, and unfairly, have not had the time to deal with as of late.

I guess You and Chris were right all along. If we can't behave, it is better to just cut it out.
KINGCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
JWebb
Seasoned Member

I agree with Brian but sympathize with those having to moderate the vitriol that some people can't seem to keep in check.
JWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
matokeya

Politics have been a source of controversary for years. People with either agree or disagree, but they still need to voice their opinions. There has been many a friendship dissolved over politics, but yet it is still out there for people to debate about. Whether the argument gets heated or not, this should not matter. Yes, people will, in the course of a battle, get very hateful and say things that hurt, but still they too have a right to express their opinion. This country was founded on our freedom of speech, yet there are times that we forget this and attempt to do away with someone whose opinion doesn't match ours. There are more ways to get your point across beside hate mail, profanity and the such. We are all adults here, or should be. I'm sure having to moderate this type of forum is difficult, but people should have the choice to join in if they wish.
matokeya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
GolfSeller

I'm all for free speech, but would not want to waste my time moderating arguments. I have never clicked on that section as I come here primarily for entertainment.

It's possible it could spill out in other sections eventually, if there's not a designated section for political talk to take place.

Last edited by GolfSeller; 06-28-2010 at 07:26 PM.
GolfSeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
whiteorchid
Seasoned Member

We definitely need to have Texas or hill country politics covered. I don't take a newspaper so I get a lot of info online, and I depend a lot on this forum for info on things/issues happening in our area.

As for national and world politics I stay pretty much informed on what's going on, so I can take it or leave it. Whatever the board decides is fine with me.
whiteorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
JakRussll
Seasoned Member

As someone who frequents the forum and has even participated, I fall into the "We can do without it" camp. Rarely does anything stay on message there. If something is worth sharing, there is usually another forum for it - that is rooted in less controversy. Finally, it should not be unpleasant work for you and your Moderators......like having to close a forum. That can't be fun!

Lose it! Life is still good!

Jak
JakRussll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
sapphire

I voted "I guess so". Although, it is frustrating that people post on agendas they are not adequately informed on and make negative statements when they don't have true facts. I seldom post because my time and energy is directed elsewhere and don't want to get into the politics and debates.
Sapphire
sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #12
Peaches
Seasoned Member

I feel that anytime an individual or an entity creates a situation, or gets involved in a situation, that can cause tax dollars to be wasted or used to for the specific benefit or that person or entity, the taxpayers have a right to question and debate the circumstances. Where can we question and debate these types of local issues if not on this forum? While our local newspapers are sometimes willing to publish op-ed pieces, they usually fear reporting anything controversial because they can't afford to lose advertising dollars; and we're always going to have people out there who will boycott the advertisers if they don't like what's reported.

I don't believe anybody here can imagine the number of times crimes by political leaders have been exposed because some investigative reporter had the nerve to snoop and sniff out the real story...and the number of times those investigative reporters were tipped off by members of the public.

I have seen private businesses thrashed and trashed on this forum from time-to-time. In my opinion, that would be a much greater liability than anything that could be said about politicians and those who profit from politics.

One bad aspect of closing a thread that may be controversial is that the person, business or entity subjected to scrutiny loses the chance to defend his or her actions. For, instance, Dr. Ryder was great about responding openly and honestly to school district issues that appeard on this forum. I think he also paid attention to the concerns posted by parents and taxpayers, and sometimes made changes that addressed those concerns.

This is a wonderful forum and I hope the political forum continues on TheHighlandLakes.com. I would suggest, however, that a disclaimer be posted stating that the opinions expressed on this forum do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the owners or moderators.
Peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #13
fellowtownsperson

I think the lively reparte between people is entertaining and enlightening. To close down a thread just when a person starts to get a little heated is sad. I don't mind reading about someone who's lost his dog (I'll keep my eye out) or that the weather at the car races was hot (surprise--it's June in Texas), but sanguine topics get kinda boring. I LEARN more when people post information and their opinions about a topic that's near and dear to their hearts. The right to speak out. To read or not to read. That's the American way! Let's go back to rocking & rolling on the Forum!
fellowtownsperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #14
cwolfington

I injoy all the topic
cwolfington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #15
countryboy
Seasoned Member

Keep the political section. If folks cant handle the heat. Stay out of the Kitchen. If ya dont like the channel.switch it. If the musics to loud turn it down.
This is politics folks.It takes thick skin. And of course some sense of civility.
countryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:15 PM   #16
jmerci
Seasoned Member

Moderation can be done with a gentle hand and yet still encourage lively exchange of ideas. If the players can't abide by the basic ground rules, revoke *their* privileges to post in that form. Don't deprive the rest of us who can enjoy it. And yes... as I have moderated such discussions in the past, I don't mind doing it if it helps keep this feature alive.
jmerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:19 AM   #17
WhoIsJohnGalt

Surely we can have political discussions while maintaining decorum. But with a high level of spirit on all sides, a good moderator would be very helpful.
WhoIsJohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:35 AM   #18
Milly

Quote:
Originally Posted by editor View Post
should thehighlandlakes.com continue to have a politics section in the forum?
yes...every once in awhile we really learn sometihing....
Milly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #19
tonigking
Seasoned Member

I am right there with Countryboy.

Live and let live. We are losing more and more freedoms everyday in this Country.
If we just attack issues, without profanity , not individuals we'll be okay.

I do not like my opinion judged by anyone who happens to be on the other side of the coin. It is after all my opinion, to which I am entitled to in the good ole USA.

Disagree with it, my opinion, yes obliterate it noooo.

Last edited by tonigking; 06-29-2010 at 08:32 AM. Reason: addition
tonigking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:04 AM   #20
mfcitizen

Keep the politics section only if the those posting have to use their real name. It is to easy to bash someone when you can hide behind a pseudonym. This is a way for small minded people, who don't know the facts and are to lazy to find the facts, to bash other people. Change it or Scrap it!!
mfcitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:11 AM   #21
Caretaker

I agree with countyboy also. Keep the political section. I know I know it can get a little whiny at times and maybe a little snotty but come on. Its not like we can throw chairs across the room at the oppossition online. But given todays technology it may soon happen.Haha.

I for one like to listen to both sides of an argument for the sake of knowledge. Its all apart of growing wiser in life and helping to see the truth. If one cant handle the truth then well......

Last edited by Caretaker; 06-29-2010 at 09:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #22
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfcitizen View Post
Keep the politics section only if the those posting have to use their real name. It is to easy to bash someone when you can hide behind a pseudonym. This is a way for small minded people, who don't know the facts and are to lazy to find the facts, to bash other people. Change it or Scrap it!!

mfcitizen doesnt sound like a real name to me.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #23
grumpy
Seasoned Member

There are many channels on my television that I don't like. I can either change channels or turn it off. The ones who don't like politics have the same choice. Sometimes the truth hurts but it needs to be said.
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #24
carvet44
Seasoned Member

Thumbs up

I think my opinion is probably fairly obvious, but, if not, please keep it. How do we learn anything if not with dissent?
carvet44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:23 PM   #25
clanmaddern
Traveler

Minimize moderator angst. One strike and you're out on the politics forum!