The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Schools

Old 05-21-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
Inquiringminds2013

Unhappy Bond Election Money

It seems like the bond money is already being spent in ways many people who opposed the bond feared—another Central Office position. Bruce Peckover, MFES principal, is being moved to CO as head of Career and Technology since there is now so much money to be spent in that area.

Am I the only person who remembers when all Central Office personnel were located in the granite building on Broadway? It just amazes me that the district enrollment has grown so little in proportion to the increase in high-paid CO administrative positions—and with very little increase to teachers’ salary.

I miss the good old days when the district was a lean, well-run machine under Dr. Warren. Hopefully, things will eventually turn around… but I am worried about our schools and our community.
Inquiringminds2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:57 AM   #2
Nomos
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiringminds2013 View Post
It seems like the bond money is already being spent in ways many people who opposed the bond feared—another Central Office position. Bruce Peckover, MFES principal, is being moved to CO as head of Career and Technology since there is now so much money to be spent in that area.

Am I the only person who remembers when all Central Office personnel were located in the granite building on Broadway? It just amazes me that the district enrollment has grown so little in proportion to the increase in high-paid CO administrative positions—and with very little increase to teachers’ salary.

I miss the good old days when the district was a lean, well-run machine under Dr. Warren. Hopefully, things will eventually turn around… but I am worried about our schools and our community.
An analysis to see how top-heavy MFISD ids in comparison to similar districts would be interesting.
Nomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
countryboy
Seasoned Member

Quote:

I agree with you on the money being spent. OPM all gets spent real fast.

But do you also remember Those portable buildings that were all around the middle school and sold off for something like 10.00 dollars each.. Who was at the helm at that time?
countryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
mdarling
Seasoned Member

This is precisely why I was not "for" this bond issue. Many of us asked numerous times for a breakdown of what the money was going to be spent on. Technology--how much? Ball fields--how much? Band instruments--how much? Etc., etc. We were never given a breakdown--just $6.55 million to spend whatever way the school board decides. I'm tired of not getting answers.

I asked what would happen if a student didn't return a laptop or other equipment. The response--"Oh, we'll have insurance to cover that". Really? And who's paying for the insurance? You bet--you and I!

And if you think the school board won't raise taxes--which is what they told us--think again. That bill gives them the right to raise taxes whenever they want.
mdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:35 AM   #5
Nomos
Seasoned Member

Quote:
*** —another Central Office position. Bruce Peckover, MFES principal, is being moved to CO as head of Career and Technology ****
Although I opposed the bond, and I think MFISD is top-heavy, shouldn't there be someone in charge of career and technology? I would like to see the job description and know that this position will translate into something meaningful in terms of education.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:42 AM   #6
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
I agree with you on the money being spent. OPM all gets spent real fast.

But do you also remember Those portable buildings that were all around the middle school and sold off for something like 10.00 dollars each.. Who was at the helm at that time?
It cost more to move those portables than they are worth after they have been used. That is why they basically give them away.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
Inquiringminds2013

There are groups that come in such as TASB (Texas Assoc of School Boards) and analyze the administration/staff ratio and make recommendations. You can get an idea of the staffing on your annual Texas Academic Performance Report (called AEIS before 2012). For the latest one (2013) your staffing is compared to the state's averages.

Total students 4037
Staff breakdown:
Teachers, 287; 62% of the staff vs state avg of 51%
Prof. support, 47; 10% of the staff vs state avg. of 9%
Campus Adm,16.4; 3.5% of the staff vs state avg of 2.9%
Cen Ofc (CO), 8.5; 1.8% of the staff vs state avg of 1.0%
Remember this is for 2012-13... how many new positions were created last summer? Asst Supt and Grant Asministrator come to mind. MFISD website lists 23 with 7 campus arm or 16 CO

Some other districts around Texas for the same reporting period had the following CO numbers:
Conroe, 53632 students, 23 CO for .04% of the staff
Katy, 64408 students, 44 CO for .06% of the staff
Lewisville, 52399 students, 58.5 CO for 0.9% of the staff
Northside, 99426 students, 38 for .03% of the staff
Fort Bend, 69123 students, 15 for 0.02% of the staff

You don't have to believe me. Those reports are available on the TEA website at http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/perfre...ch.html?srch=D
Old 05-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #8
Nomos
Seasoned Member

Quote:
There are groups that come in such as TASB (Texas Assoc of School Boards) and analyze the administration/staff ratio and make recommendations. You can get an idea of the staffing on your annual Texas Academic Performance Report (called AEIS before 2012). For the latest one (2013) your staffing is compared to the state's averages.

Total students 4037
Staff breakdown:
Teachers, 287; 62% of the staff vs state avg of 51%
Prof. support, 47; 10% of the staff vs state avg. of 9%
Campus Adm,16.4; 3.5% of the staff vs state avg of 2.9%
Cen Ofc (CO), 8.5; 1.8% of the staff vs state avg of 1.0%
Remember this is for 2012-13... how many new positions were created last summer? Asst Supt and Grant Asministrator come to mind. MFISD website lists 23 with 7 campus arm or 16 CO

Some other districts around Texas for the same reporting period had the following CO numbers:
Conroe, 53632 students, 23 CO for .04% of the staff
Katy, 64408 students, 44 CO for .06% of the staff
Lewisville, 52399 students, 58.5 CO for 0.9% of the staff
Northside, 99426 students, 38 for .03% of the staff
Fort Bend, 69123 students, 15 for 0.02% of the staff

You don't have to believe me. Those reports are available on the TEA website at http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/perfre...ch.html?srch=D
Central office is high. Seems as if there needs to be a management level below asst supt for such as grant administration.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
countryboy
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
It cost more to move those portables than they are worth after they have been used. That is why they basically give them away.
Moving portables in bulk maybe a big cost if the school had paid for the moving expenses. they would have made money if they had put them up for auction on GovDeals.com. Could have got a bidding war going for them and had the buyers incur the cost of moving.. Even old school portables are worth something to buyers who re-purpose them.. ALL school surplus should be disposed of in that manner.
countryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
Inquiringminds2013

The other thing interesting is that on the MFISD website, the administrator pages lists a whole lot more than 8.5. I know the principals are reported on AEIS as campus administrators, but who and where do those other "administrators" belong? It's all in the magic of coding.... THAT is why you have staffing studies done..... by an independent group.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #11
ohcuriousone
Seasoned Member

Thumbs down They were spending the money before the bond passed

Check back on the front page of The Highlander dated March 28-31.

"Road to Technology?" Article is about the hiring of Seth Hansen as the Executive Director of Technology. Says he will be "responsible for implementing the district's existing technologivcal programs and equipment , as well as evaluating the needs of instructors and students.........." Doc OConnor introduced him to the board "the young man who will take Marble Falls ISD technoloty to the next level".

go figure

I too did not support the bond issue and was getting tired of having it crammed down my throat. Several teachers that I know also voiced concerns that the money would NOT be spent as advertised and that there was talk about what would be done once the money was in hand. At least Ryder Warren listed to the people and cared what we thought.
ohcuriousone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
administrative positions , bond money , central office positions , dr. warren , teacher salary