The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Community Discussions > County Topics

Old 12-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
tonigking
Seasoned Member

Kleager vs LCRA

Best take a look at what LCRA is trying to do with area Water Utilities and give Kleager your support !
tonigking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
Caretaker

[QUOTE=tonigking;9121]Best take a look at what LCRA is trying to do with area Water Utilities and give Kleager your support ![/QUOTE]

Thank you mentioning that.. I read the highlanders article i am disguted with what they want to do as well.

Heres some food for thought.

If the communitys which have clauses in their original contracts with LCRA to purchase or Repurchase. What will the cost be??And what should the cost be based on?. The original upgrade costs or the Open Market value..

They say there are alot of good companys out there who could purchase these systems.. Will they be Local or Foreign investers??. IMO seeing a company truck with a possible logo with say. Shanghei water Co or Ali baba Aqua service may not go over to well..

Also. What will your future rates be?. What will the water taste like in the future and what could be added?

Folks there are water wars starting to happen all over. Better be aware of it.Water is the Next gold.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
lmam88
Seasoned Member

What areas of the county will this affect?
lmam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Caretaker

[QUOTE=lmam88;9129]What areas of the county will this affect?[/QUOTE]

News article says. Burnet and llano countys.
Bonanza beach,Lake Buchanan,Paradise point,Quail creek,Ridge harbor waste & water systems,Sandy Harbor,Smithwick Mills,Spicewoodbeach,Sunrise beach,Tow villiage, and Whitewater springs,
there are 32 total systems in all. The rest must be in other countys.

Last edited by Caretaker; 12-16-2010 at 07:31 PM. Reason: adding
Old 12-17-2010, 06:32 AM   #5
lmam88
Seasoned Member

[QUOTE=Caretaker;9130]News article says. Burnet and llano countys.
Bonanza beach,Lake Buchanan,Paradise point,Quail creek,Ridge harbor waste & water systems,Sandy Harbor,Smithwick Mills,Spicewoodbeach,Sunrise beach,Tow villiage, and Whitewater springs,
there are 32 total systems in all. The rest must be in other countys.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the info. I did not see the areas mentioned specfically.
lmam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
Wrangler

This is a "WAKE UP CALL" people!

LCRA is run by an appointed board. Appointed by the Governor. The state has a deficit. The current Gov has a statement that there will be "no new taxes". Ergo. Raise all "fees" (they're not called "taxes"). Where else to raise money? How about LCRA assets? Sell to highest bidder to cover state deficit. Hello, Wall Street hedge funds, want quick returns by ripping off people who have no other alternative to water & sewer service? Join in!

Next, LCRA produces and sells electricity. Well, what about sellling those dams and power plants to profit making hedge funds who will raise the price of electricity thus increasing the "market value" of their power plants, mortgage the plants for as much as possible and then "bug out" with your short term profits by selling the whole thing thru an IPO. THe debt created will be paid by electricity users in the future (YOU!). (NOTE: This is hypothetical but possible and has NOT been proposed - at least not in public).

Now, you know why it is important to listen to Toni. The County Judge needs help to fight this. Call your local State Senator (BTW, where is he on this issue?) and State representatives. The LCRA does NOT answer to YOU but only to the politicians who appoint them.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
countryboy
Seasoned Member

[QUOTE=Wrangler;9136]This is a "WAKE UP CALL" people!

LCRA is run by an appointed board. Appointed by the Governor. The state has a deficit. The current Gov has a statement that there will be "no new taxes". Ergo. Raise all "fees" (they're not called "taxes"). Where else to raise money? How about LCRA assets? Sell to highest bidder to cover state deficit. Hello, Wall Street hedge funds, want quick returns by ripping off people who have no other alternative to water & sewer service? Join in!

Next, LCRA produces and sells electricity. Well, what about sellling those dams and power plants to profit making hedge funds who will raise the price of electricity thus increasing the "market value" of their power plants, mortgage the plants for as much as possible and then "bug out" with your short term profits by selling the whole thing thru an IPO. THe debt created will be paid by electricity users in the future (YOU!). (NOTE: This is hypothetical but possible and has NOT been proposed - at least not in public).

Now, you know why it is important to listen to Toni. The County Judge needs help to fight this. Call your local State Senator (BTW, where is he on this issue?) and State representatives. The LCRA does NOT answer to YOU but only to the politicians who appoint them.[/QUOTE]

Well put wrangler.I agree with you on what you said. Because that is the truth in a nutshell.These additional Fees are Nothing more then TAXES.Its just different wording designed to confuse people.Also Folks need to learn what " Pump and Dump" means in the stock market.

Will people wake up?. It would be nice if they did.But I dont believe they will.. You know why. IMO They have not lost enough of the Libertys and Freedoms yet. They still believe they have them all as the constitution or bill of rights say they do.

When it comes to water. Water is the Next Oil. Just like food is. People can live without OIL but not water or food.Example being;SB510 will control food or water.It is said to be for safety issues but in reality it for fo the control of the commerce there of..

Let me add why some dont have alternatives to water or sewage.Regulations being one.They regulate so most wont use another system(wells,raincatch,evap systems etc)due to the redtape involved or telling folks its Not healthy or its just not feasible for the individual to do so...Why else would they want wells registered or to implement a tax on rain run off...The powers that be want everyone to be on their systems only to charge you for the Benefit.They make the claim that they are Providing you something.When in fact they are only Selling you a Product..
countryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
tonigking
Seasoned Member

Just a very few years ago LCRA tried very hard to buy the Water Plant in Granite Shoals. A few savvy folks took on LCRA and the movement to sell and defeated that effort. Thank God for those folks. Without our water income the City would rely solely on residential taxpayers to sustain our city services.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the petition to kill the GS wastewater treatment plant, which would broaden our tax base and convienience level immensely. Some of the same short sighted people are trying to kill it , that tried to sell the Water Plant. If we don't build our own waste water plant, on our terms, you can be sure very soon some government entity will come in and do it on their terms and charge us what they like.

Folks please don't listen to rumors, get involved, get the facts.

This water and sewage issue is huge and will only become worse if proper action is not taken now.

Last edited by tonigking; 12-18-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
countryboy
Seasoned Member

[QUOTE=tonigking;9147]Just a very few years ago LCRA tried very hard to buy the Water Plant in Granite Shoals. A few savvy folks took on LCRA and the movement to sell and defeated that effort. Thank God for those folks. Without our water income the City would rely solely on residential taxpayers to sustain our city services.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the petition to kill the GS wastewater treatment plant, which would broaden our tax base and convienience level immensely. Some of the same short sighted people are trying to kill it , that tried to sell the Water Plant. If we don't build our own waste water plant, on our terms, you can be sure very soon some government entity will come in and do it on their terms and charge us what they like.

Folks please don't listen to rumors, get involved, get the facts.

This water and sewage issue is huge and will only become worse if proper action is not taken now.[/QUOTE]

Dont worry.Your waste plant issue will be put to a vote in May.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:24 AM   #10
tonigking
Seasoned Member

Yes CB, but at what cost if we lose the low cost financing that is available now?

Donna I apologize for misspelling your name, I just don't know how to corect it now.
Just wanted to put this thread back on track and encourage support for your efforts.

Imam, water issues effect all of us, even if GS does own it's own plant. LCRA controls all the water and seems to answer to no one.

We must all remain vigilant and vocal in this matter!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #11
Caretaker

How will people feel when these various water systems get sold off to Foreign investors?.

How will you like it when Your Texas water is being Bottled or Trucked Via water hauling ships to another country? And yes that happens.

How will you like having your rates go up double or even triple the amount they are right now EVEN though it does NOT cost them anything else to produce that water..The extra money would most likely be nothing more then pay raises for the CEOs for what ever Corp buys the systems.

Remember this folks. Water which once was considered a basic nessecity has been reduced to nothing more then a commodity.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #12
Wrangler

The SILENCE from local State Senator and State Representatives is deafing! Where are you? The people are talking, are you listening?

BTW folks, you need to write your State Senator and State Representatives with your comments.

The squeeky wheel gets the grease!
Old 12-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #13
countryboy
Seasoned Member

[QUOTE=Wrangler;9175]The SILENCE from local State Senator and State Representatives is deafing! Where are you? The people are talking, are you listening?

BTW folks, you need to write your State Senator and State Representatives with your comments.

The squeeky wheel gets the grease![/QUOTE]

How does Troy Frasier feel about this issue?.Or Aycock? Or anyone of the Other Leaders?They need to all be down there in unison fighting this BS..
Old 12-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #14
organicfoodlover

The water at Paradise Point and several other Buchannan area locations has "radon" in it according to past reports. It may be important to start worrying what your water already has in it in these cases - but I agree, I do NOT want flouride from toxic waste ( fluorosilicic acid) and other chemicals added to mine.

I found the examples below by searching some of the news stories after reading through a recent report: Trends in Water Privatization: "The Post-Recession Economy and the Fight for Public Water in the United States." Many subscription-based businesses (like water service) are valued on a per customer basis so I included the cost per person at the end of each example.

Examples:

(1) BRYN MAWR, Pa., Aug 04, 2009 (BUSINESS WIRE) * Aqua America, Inc. (NYSE:WTR) announced today that its Texas operating subsidiary has acquired two water systems from the Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) for a total cost of $330,000. Aqua Texas, Inc. purchased the assets of the Harper Water System in Gillespie County and the London Water System in Kimble County, which together serve about 480 Texans. This would be $688 per person.

http://southllano.org/2009/08/lcra-sells-london-harper-water-supply-to-aqua-texas/

(2) Release Date: 8/12/2009 BRYN MAWR, Pa. -- Aqua America, Inc. (NYSE: WTR) announced today that it has acquired the Lawrenceville Water Company, which serves nearly 8,000 people in Lawrence Township, New Jersey in a stock transaction valued at $3.3 million including the assumption of $400,000 of debt. The system will be operated and managed by its New Jersey subsidiary, Aqua New Jersey, Inc.
https://www.aquaamerica.com/News/Pages/AquaAmericaAcquiresLawrencevilleWaterSystem.aspx
$ 413 per person

(3) October 2010 BRYN MAWR, Pa.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aqua America, Inc. (NYSE:WTR) announced today that its North Carolina subsidiary has acquired the water utility system assets of Setzer Brothers, Inc. for $162,500. The system serves about 600 residents in four subdivisions in Catawba County.
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20101005006833/en/Aqua-America%E2%80%99s-North-Carolina-Subsidiary-Acquires-Water
$271 per person

Here is the report I originally found to do this research:
http://documents.foodandwaterwatch.org/PrivatizationTrends.pdf
organicfoodlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:33 AM   #15
Wrangler

Let's see...1st..TransTexas Corridor sold to Spain. Now, LCRA water system sold to ?????? Do you detect any common factor in these 2 events?
Old 12-28-2010, 07:37 AM   #16
gardener
Seasoned Member

Resonating frequencies on these are frightening! BUT Troy has been doing a lot of foreign travel.
Personal opinion only-He and Rick like to play monopoly with our lives.
So we should shut up and be good little minions, right?!!
gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #17
Caretaker

[QUOTE=gardener;9208]Resonating frequencies on these are frightening! BUT Troy has been doing a lot of foreign travel.
Personal opinion only-He and Rick like to play monopoly with our lives.
So we should shut up and be good little minions, right?!![/QUOTE]

Yes they are frightening.Slick Rick is a CFR and Bilderberg attendee.Maybe even a member..I,m sure his counterpart is in that loop as well..
Old 12-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #18
gardener
Seasoned Member

Should we ask our duly elected reps to protect our natural resources necessary to public health?
Could it be in our best interests, public health wise to restrict foreign investment in our blue chip utilties?

Do you recall last fall when a small community outside Austin had severe water problems, truckloads of water had to be taken for community whose water system's foreign owners did not maintain their system.
Their water was horrible and dark....

Shall we then suggest to our legislators that we protect our citizens from such dangers brought about by
greed?

Please don't pay games (monopoly esp!) with our water!
Old 12-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #19
countryboy
Seasoned Member

Ones thing is for sure. The Rates will go up.. LCRA stated that they would if they kept these systems.. Does anyone think for one second that when another Corp gets them they wont jack up the rates??. Corporations dont buy systems unless there is huge profit potential.Fresh clean water that is soon to be a rare commodity will be worth its weight in gold. Why do you think T.Boone pickens bought so much land up in north texas over the ogolala aquifer.

PUBLIC Health wise it is in OUR best interests that the ones using the water control the water.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #20
organicfoodlover

I was told the rates would go up no matter what - if LCRA keeps the systems, if they sell the systems or if the cities buy back the systems. But at least if cities can buy back their own systems they have a chance to try and control the water quality. Some towns just won't be able to afford to even consider a buy back. There's really little that can be done in those cases as you can't force LCRA to own a business it no longer wants.
organicfoodlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #21
Wrangler

[QUOTE=organicfoodlover;9236]....... There's really little that can be done in those cases as you can't force LCRA to own a business it no longer wants.[/QUOTE]

I respectfully disagree with this portion of your statement. The purpose of the LCRA is to SERVE THE PEOPLE OF TEXAS by providing flood control, generating electricity, providing recreation, etc. It is NOT the purpose of the LCRA (IMHO) to serve politicians who want to sell assets that serve Texans to generate funds that allow politicians to convert those funds (thru offsets) to serve their politicial purposes. If the State has a deficit why sell LCRA assets to effectively enable the politician to say "I didn't raise taxes".

My understanding is the LCRA was supposed to be self-sufficient, i.e. pay its own way. But, does the LCRA borrow funds? From the state treasury? Ah! It may be that politicians want to use that state treasury to fund their political promises of "no increased taxes". Therefore, if LCRA were to sell assets and keep those funds for its operations, LCRA would not have to "tap" the treasury for funds. Brilliant!

I wonder when the LCRA comes up for "sunset review"? Do LCRA directors (political appointees) go on "junkets" like former PEC directors apparently did? Has anyone ever looked at that? And, where's our "investigatory" press (media) on this?

The purpose of the LCRA should be to serve the people of Texas and if that means owning & operating water and sewer systems in the LC watershed, then so be it! Whether "they" like it or not is irrelevent to their mission of "serve the people of Texas".
Old 12-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #22
Caretaker

IMO they should sell those systems back to the communitys that they got them from.. And it should be interest free. All revenue generated by each one would be used first for any maintenance should they arise(basic upkeep etc).Any moneys over would be sent to pay off the balances.. If LCRA is really a non profit group they should be OK with this idea..They should also provide technical assistance to the communitys for a short term period to get them used to running these systems again.(change over period so to speak)
Old 12-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #23
gardener
Seasoned Member

Yea! Now if they will only serve the will of the people. Appointed and Elected!
Ditto Country boy & Wrangler
Old 01-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #24
Caretaker

The weekend addition of the Highlander has an article that talks about the questions Donna Klaeger is asking LCRA. She has very good questions.

Newspapers quote from LCRAs board; It is the Boards decesion as to whether to continue to own a System that does NOT provide what it Considers ADEQUATE REVENUES and is NOT considered Central to Its MISSION.

Adequate Revenues= Could it possibly mean they only wanted a profit???

Central to its Mission= Could it possibly mean that their whole agenda(mission) was to take control over all these systems while knowing they would unload them later to whomever is the highest bidder???
Old 01-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #25
Wrangler

All it takes to be "non-profit" is to increase your expenses so that they equal revenue. Bingo! No profits. Got money left after covering opertional expenses? No problem! Declare bonuses, go on junkets (ever visited Paris for a conference on power generation?) Just "eat up" those revenues until you have none left. Bingo! You're a "non-profit"!