The Highland Lakes of Texas

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Dining & Shopping

Old 11-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
Mike
Seasoned Member

New Mexican Restaurant in Kingsland

Hi Folks,
I just wanted to make people aware that there is a new Mexican Restaurant in Kingsland. The name of it is "EL Bracero", which means "The Fire Grill." It is across the street from the Sonic drive in on 1431.
As I always do with a new Restaurant, I dropped by yesterday afternoon & ordered some things Ala Carte. I ordered a Chilli Relleno, a Enchiladas & a Mexican sandwich called a Tortas. There were 8 different kinds of the Sandwiches. I had the Pork one. I enjoyed everything, as did my family. I was especially impressed with their Menu. What a Variety of stuff. Even 6 different kind of steaks. Steak & shrimp, T-Bone etc. Their Menu was better than some of the fancy Mexican Restaurants I've been in. I talked with the Owners wife & she told me they have another Restaurant in San Antonio.
Only my initial trip there, but I will be returning to try some of their dinners. I don't usually post stuff like this but I wanted to make people aware of the place. I would hope some of you would give it a try. In our small communities Restaurants have a hard time starting up & making it. If the stuff on their Menu is as good as I tried, it's a winner.

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
TexasStar

Thanks for the info Mike. My husband and I LOVE Mexican food, and we are always looking for a new place. There doesn't seem to be a lot of really good ones in Marble Falls. Do they serve good margaritas?? Those are important too!!!
TexasStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
whiteorchid
Seasoned Member

I saw it last week as I passed through and wondered if it was closing down or opening up; now I know. Can't wait to try it!
whiteorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
lmam88
Seasoned Member

We will be going out tomorrow night for our anniversary. Will definitely give it a try! There is another place I noticed today right across the street from the Wells Fargo Bank. That town is really booming!
Thanks, Mike!
lmam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
Frank_Reilly
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Frank_Reilly Send a message via Skype™ to Frank_Reilly
If Granite Shoals is successful with its sewer plant, some of these new restaurants could be locating there someday.
Frank_Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
lmam88
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Reilly View Post
If Granite Shoals is successful with its sewer plant, some of these new restaurants could be locating there someday.
It's only taken close to 30years for Kingsland to start growing after KMUD went in!
lmam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
organicfoodlover

We tried El Bracero for lunch today. Large menu, took a while to figure it out. Many items do not have very detailed descriptions so we had to ask a lot of questions. I ended up with the Fajitas for One (I chose chicken) and my husband got the $5.99 special #7 burrito with poblano pepper. His was too heavy for my taste - deep fried, flattened poblano with a little meat/cheese sauce and half a meat burrito with a side of refried beans and rice. My dish was quite large but it was $9.99 and we shared. Lots of chicken and green peppers, onions and mushrooms on the sizzling pan. Nice soft homemade flour tortillas (but they only give you 2 so you have to ask for more). Sides for the fajitas included pinto beans cooked with chorizo (excellent), some guacamole, pico (really good pico) and a little lettuce, tomato and sour cream. No cheese - none was needed. They brought 2 kinds of hot sauces, green was very hot, the other not too much flavor.

The chips and salsa left us wondering at first. The salsa is more of a plain tomato sauce than anything. We ordered a side of pico and mixed it together which turned it from something we wouldn't eat to something we really enjoyed. The chips were kind of thick - not bad but just thicker than usual. Not sure if they are homemade.

The place was busy so the waitresses were having to keep up, so service was friendly but a little haphazard. They still don't seem to know the menu items themselves so it may take a bit of time for that.

The atmosphere is the weakest point for me - very little decorating. The front windows have great light and a row of some nice interior plants would really help improve the look, as would some other decorations.

At least 4 people were getting calls on their cell phones during our 30 minute lunch so that was a big turnoff for me. If they divided up the large room more to help defer the noise it might help but inconsiderate people are hard to stop I guess.

I'll go back to try again because there are so few options in Kingsland area.
organicfoodlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #8
whiteorchid
Seasoned Member

We tried it last night and it wasn't crowded. I had the $9.99 plate that had a chalupa, cheese enchildada, poblano pepper, taco, and tamale. I did not like the tamale and the enchilada was not hot enough. The poblano pepper was tasty and the taco was good, but I'll probably go back to Tamale King for my Mexican food.
whiteorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:54 AM   #9
posquall

I've been there three times already. Twice for breakfast and once for lunch. Very good.
posquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:14 AM   #10
TexasStar

Well, we tried it. We won't go back. The food wasn't very good. The service was terrible, and the TV was on VERY loud in Spanish. So loud we had to move to the other side of the room to hear each other.

I just can't believe that this area doesn't have some really good Mexican Restuarants. We enjoy one in Burnet, Jardin Corona, and go in to Austin a lot. Of course, we haven't tried them all yet! I have to say that I am glad that Kingsland did get a restuarant though, and maybe be trying to grow a bit.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:34 PM   #11
Bentley

There are several new places in Kingsland, it has seen growth this year.
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:38 AM   #12
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasStar View Post
Well, we tried it. We won't go back. The food wasn't very good. The service was terrible, and the TV was on VERY loud in Spanish. So loud we had to move to the other side of the room to hear each other.

I just can't believe that this area doesn't have some really good Mexican Restuarants. We enjoy one in Burnet, Jardin Corona, and go in to Austin a lot. Of course, we haven't tried them all yet! I have to say that I am glad that Kingsland did get a restuarant though, and maybe be trying to grow a bit.

This area of the hill country has alot of Mex Resturants and Even more Asian places popping up.How many should the area have.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #13
Tutumary

IMO, the best Mexican resturant in Kingsland is Alfredos. It is where the old Friends cafe used to be. I've eaten there several times and thought the food was outstanding. The people are very nice as well. They also have a bell hanging by the front door, so as you leave, if you liked your dinner.....you ring the bell.
Tutumary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #14
hmmm

Wow, a Mexican restaurant had a TV on in Spanish. I can understand being bothered by the volume, but having it on in Spanish makes the place a little more legit, IMHO. There are lots of great Mexican restaurants in the area--Tamale King in Buchanan Dam, El Rancho and Super Taco in Marble Falls, and Julie's Cocina in Cottonwood. I'll be trying El Bracero the first chance I get.
hmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:09 AM   #15
TexasStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretaker View Post
This area of the hill country has alot of Mex Resturants and Even more Asian places popping up.How many should the area have.
I said "good" ones! I could care less how many. I go for quality, not quantity. Maybe it's because the area I moved from had many excellent Mexican restuarants to choose from, without having to drive into Houston.

Tutumary, we'll have to give Alfredos a try too. Thanks

Hmmmmmmmm, it wasn't so much the spanish, sorry, as the loudness of the TV. I've eaten in many restuarants where the TV was in Spanish, but didn't bother me as the food was delish, and it wasn't overpowering.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:33 AM   #16
organicfoodlover

I gave Alfredos a try. It was okay but I haven't rushed back. It seems to be very popular with the local police and a lot of men. When I was there I think there were 2 women including myself and a room full of men. Men who obviously love to eat. I like vegetables and lighter food, and having a waistline - what can I say? I know many Mexican restaurants in other towns that offer fresh vegetables as part of their entree - maybe there just isn't a demand for it in this area.
organicfoodlover is offline   Reply With Quote