The Highland Lakes of Texas

The Highland Lakes of Texas (http://www.thehighlandlakes.com/forum.php)
-   Official Polls (http://www.thehighlandlakes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Will Republicans Regain the House? (http://www.thehighlandlakes.com/showthread.php?t=1352)

Webmaster 03-16-2010 08:47 AM

Will Republicans Regain the House?

Simple question: Do you believe the Republicans will regain the house in this year's mid-term elections?

JakRussll 03-16-2010 04:50 PM

The answer lies in the Health Care Bill. Plain and simple. If it passes against the wishes of the majority of the electorate (voting folks), then the fall elections will be a Democratic bloodbath. The Republicans will win the house with a bitter-sweet victory. They will celebrate their spoils...but do NOTHING to turn back the healthcare legislation. That's politics!

If the Bill flames out in the next few months, there is enough time left for the incumbent Dems to recover somewhat - doing the old softshoe shuffle on peoples memories - and probably hang on the the House and Senate majority.

Either way. The Democrats lose seats in both houses. Hopefully Nevada and California voters come to their senses like the folks did in Mass. Imagine a senate without B. Boxer and H. Reid?

Peaches 03-17-2010 07:11 AM

Let's see...we have 253 Democrats, 178 Republicans, no Independents, and 4 vacancies...Republicans would need to gain 41 seats. Only Truman and Clinton yielded more than 39 seats to the opposition party in their first midterm election, but there are enough tossup seats to cover the gap.

I'm not sure healthcare overhaul has to pass for Republicans to regain the House. I think people feel betrayed and lied to about the whole deal. This latest side-stepping tactic to pass reform without taking a vote is only going to intensify the feelings of betrayal. Yes, people do forget, but the HC thing has been the ONLY focus for the Democrats for Obama's entire Presidency - which is going to make it harder to forget.

I think deficit spending, jobs and the economy will, most likely, be the overall deciding factors in this election. Obama and the Democrats don't seem to have enough concern to set the ever-so-controversial healthcare reform aside and address those issues. People are feeling the pinch, and that pinch isn't going to go away by November.

My short answer to the question, "Do you believe the Republicans will regain the house in this year's mid-term elections?"...is yes.

KINGCHIP 03-17-2010 11:41 AM

I'd like to think so, but doubt it. I think that there will be a huge turnover, but don't think it will be enough to regain the majority.

bobbypuccio 03-17-2010 12:10 PM

And if the republicans win all our problems will disappear, and if they don't we get to blame the republicans, and all republicans will accept blame, right?

Webmaster 03-17-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbypuccio (Post 4608)
And if the republicans win all our problems will disappear, and if they don't we get to blame the republicans, and all republicans will accept blame, right?

The question was:
Do you believe the Republicans will regain the house in this year's mid-term elections?

It's a simple question but leaves room for discussion of why you believe so or not. Your response was off topic.

JSKR 03-22-2010 05:07 PM

I voted yes, although, if a lot of people think they are getting more "free" stuff from Obama, they may vote again for Democrats. But I bet a LOT of wealthy people who voted Democrat will change their minds now seeing that their money is going to be taxed left and right to pay for the healthcare bill along with every other problem. The rich won't be rich forever as long as the government keeps taxing them more and more for every little thing.

countryboy 03-27-2010 06:56 AM

Of course they think they are getting things for Free. They Dont call it the BLUE LIGHT Special for nothing.:confused:
And so what if they realize that its another unconstitutional tax which will hit them from the left & right.. They will just go along with it anyway.:(

I voted No.Simply because it does not matter if the reps or dems are running things. Both sides are so corrupted that the sheep cant do anything to make a difference.It will just be politics as usual.:popcorn:

curious 03-27-2010 04:04 PM

I agree with Peaches. There will be enough unemployed people (with time to go to the polls this time), who see that the gov't teat will not last forever. They will vote to turn this thing around. Taxes do not equal jobs. Granted there are millions who have the "entitlement" mentality, and will keep freeloading; but the majority of Americans WANT to work, and can see through the ruse at hand. I believe Nov 2010 will turn the tide for the Conservatives.

nosefornews 03-28-2010 06:51 AM

No, the Republicans will gain some seats but by November the American public will be thinking about other things and the furor over health care will have died down. Now if the economy is still in the tank then maybe.

curious 06-22-2010 10:21 AM

WASHINGTON -- White House Budget Director Peter Orszag will resign this year, a senior administration official told Fox News Monday night, positioning him to be the first high-profile member of President Barack Obama's team to depart the administration.

"Looks like your losing your army, there, Marshal." - Robert Duvall in Open Range.